1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Maine Potato Harvest 2010

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Spudman, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Spudman

Spudman Member

While not snow plowing related, I thought you guys might find these interesting.

Here are a few pictures of our potato harvest operations from this fall. We have finished digging in Penobscot, Franklin, Androscoggin, and Kennebec counties, and should complete the last two fields in Oxford County on Thursday of this week. Then we'll gear up to combine and dry our grain corn.

25% of the crop is shipped off the field directly to the plant, while the remainder is stored and shipped throughout the winter. All of our potatoes are contracted to Frito-Lay for chip production, the majority will go the the Killingly, CT plant, while lesser amounts will be shipped to Binghampton, NY; York, PA; Kentville, Nova Scotia; and Luzon, Quebec.

Digging on Warren's.jpg

Steve harvester.jpg

DSC00717.JPG

DSC00712.JPG

Canton trucks.jpg

2. Spudman

Spudman Member

Here are a few more pictures. In the second two photos we are disking our winter cover crop (barley/oat mix) into the harvested fields.

IMG_8147.jpg

TG305 disking.jpg

TJ450 disking.jpg

3. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

git a lil mud on the tires. hows the crop been for you guys? I know the orchards had a bad year down here.

4. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

NICE spudman!

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Love the Maine Potatoes. How's the foliage up that way? Been thinking of riding up to Houlton for a few bags of Green Mountains and some sight seeing.

6. Spudman

Spudman Member

At our farm in the Androscoggin River Valley, the yield has been above average. The potatoes in Central Maine (Penobscot Co.) will have an average yield this year due to the extremely dry conditions we had this summer. We did have a couple days of wet digging early last week.

Foliage is not quite peaked in our area. Not sure about Houlton though; we are the rare Maine potato farmers who are not from Aroostook County.

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice pictures Spudman. Like you said you don't se many patato fields in Central Maine.

8. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

you potato guys stick with one brand of tractor,we have 2 really large potato farmers close to me and one uses all Case IH and the other is all Deere.

9. Spudman

Spudman Member

The local New Holland salesman used to work for our family in the 80s. We can lean on him a little and get some good deals on tractors and equipment.

Mercer_me, I've been going through Mercer on every day for the past six weeks or so, heading over to our farm in Canton to manage the fresh-pack harvest over there. I've kept a lookout for a green Tundra, but no sightings so far.

10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I'll take mine with cheddar, bacon and sour cream please

11. mercer_me

What time do you go through? I don't live on RT. 2 so the only way you would beable to se it is if you saw me driving down RT. 2

12. Spudman

Spudman Member

Usually between 4 and 5 am. Sometimes earlier depending on how many loads we have to ship that day.

13. plow3232

plow3232 Senior Member

looks good

If I'm rich one day I would buy a farm. I love everything about a farm, I grew up in mexico and love animals. lol

14. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Awesome pics!

15. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Nice pics.

But i got to ask - Whats up with all the volvos?? Need some real trucks wesport

16. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Dually steer tires.... doesnt get anymore badass than that

17. mercer_me

I saw a Ford in one of them pictures.

18. Spudman

Spudman Member

The Volvo trucks are from a local grocery fleet (Shaw's). We like them because they are reasonably priced, usually 300,000 miles or less, have had an excellent fleet maintenance program, and have setback axles which makes them easier to turn at the ends of the rows. The cabs are tight on these trucks, a big plus when we haul potatoes and corn in the Maine winter. Plus we have a Volvo dealer only 30 minutes away from us. We stretch the frames and install HI/LOW driveline reducer transmissions.

The older trucks in the fleet are a mixture of Ford Louisville's and Internationals. The trouble with a potato truck is that you have to be able to drive next to the harvester at speeds as slow as 0.3 miles/hr without riding the clutch. Historically, only these older, Fords and Cornbinders with either a 5&4 or 13-speed under-drive transmission could go that slow. With driveline reducers we can run higher horsepower trucks and still go slow in the field.

For your viewing pleasure Mackman, here is a picture of the lonely Bulldog in the fleet getting loaded with cut seed potatoes.

DSC00400.jpg

19. mercer_me

I was thinking they looked like Shaw's trucks.

20. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Same here on the thinking they were shaws trucks.

Hey Spudman, question I remember you posting pictures of your tundra set-up for plowing, why don't you plow with that HD?