1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Maine Law

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by roadking88, Feb 10, 2008.

1. roadking88

roadking88 Member

Does anyone know the law in Maine for running light bar??? everyone you talk to says different,you can't run your light bar when driving from 1 location to another,the other guy says's you can run your light....I tried goggle it but no results.Thanks

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Where"s Mick??

You need Mick! :nod:

He's the Guru of Maine road laws!!

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, I have the law downstairs in my office and I'll look it up for you. But you could also look it up by searching "Maine statutes", then "snowplow". But basically - you "may" have an amber light while in the act of plowing snow. For a private contractor, that means while plowing or backing onto a roadway while plowing a private drive. You're still responsible for yielding the right-of-way to traffic.

No, you can not run your light while traveling fron one location to another. Other traffic has no responsibility to yield to you.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  4. roadking88

roadking88 Member

ok thanks hopefully he reads this thread

5. roadking88

roadking88 Member

ok mick..thank you too much

6. roadking88

roadking88 Member

after doing a search this is what i found...
    Chapter 14: SNOW TRAVELING VEHICLES Sections 2151 to 2163 (Repealed)
    ?????? what's that all about??

7. Mick

from Maine

Ok, here's the Statute number: Sec. 1. 29-A MRSA 2054, SUB-2, C. Subpra C. (4)

One correction, though. It says "must be equipped with and use ...when entering...", not just backing into a roadway. The last sentence of (4) is "The light may be in use on a public way only when the vehicle is entering the public way in the course of plowing private driveways and other off-highway locations."

8. Mick

from Maine

Go to CH 209.

9. Mick

from Maine

10. roadking88

roadking88 Member

got it thanks

11. roadking88

roadking88 Member

from what this says it looks like it's o.k. to travel on public roads with the light on if your in destination to go do another driveway..
    The light may be in use on a public way only when the vehicle is entering the public way in the course of plowing private driveways and other off-highway locations.

12. Mick

from Maine

(Copied from the Statute): (4) A vehicle equipped and used for plowing snow on other than public ways may be equipped with an auxiliary rotary flashing light that must be mounted on top of the vehicle in such a manner as to emit an amber beam of light over a 360` angle, or an amber strobe, or combination of strobes, that emits at a minimum a beam of 50 candlepower and provides visible light coverage over a 360` range. The light may be in use on a public way only when the vehicle is entering the public way in the course of plowing private driveways and other off-highway locations. (Italics and Bold added.)

This means only when entering the roadway while actually plowing a private driveway (like to turn around or get lined up with the driveway). You would not be plowing while on your way to another destination (driveway).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  13. roadking88

roadking88 Member

yeah i guess your right..

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Say THANK YOU MICK!:D

15. roadking88

roadking88 Member

thank you mick

16. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

thanks mick i didnt know eather

17. Mick

from Maine

:waving: You're welcome. I try to stay up on the state laws related to plowing snow, salt storage, etc.