1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

main lift wont compress

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by bigpapawack, Dec 8, 2009.

1. bigpapawack

bigpapawack Junior Member

i have a fisher minute mount insta-act on my 98 silverado diesel and it takes wayyyy to long to mount up. it seems the problem to me is that i cant get the main lift cylinder to compress. i am a bigger guy and i put all my weight on it and i couldn't get it. i moves up and down fine when its connected but other wise is almost impossible. any ideas on how i can fix it or what the problem is so i can make mounting it a whole lot easier?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

With the control in float, try using your foot to put pressure on the chains that lift the blade.

3. bigpapawack

How would I do that, just push the chains with my foot? How will that make the piston compress for easier mounting?

4. FordFisherman

from 06611

you'd have to do it before removing each time. Could also try loosening the big nut on the piston.

5. FordFisherman

from 06611

My MM1 does the same thing- works fine when hooked up- but needs a kick to compress the lift cylinder completely.

6. bigpapawack

ok i will give that a try tomorrow night when i take the plow off. wont loosening the nut cause a fluid leak?

7. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

get a big prybar. Press down on the float then go outside and use the prybar on the triangle and push down.

Make sure all connections are clean, somethings after you press down and you go wiggle the connectors it gets the command and will shift isolating the problem.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure the float light is on, keep the truck running. Put your foot in the middle of the chain, and push towards the truck. You might need to loosen the gland nut a bit as mentioned.