1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

main Job ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ryano23_98, Jan 4, 2006.

1. ryano23_98

ryano23_98 Junior Member
    from Indiana

is plowing your main income ? what are your main jobs if not ?

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

residential roofing for us. snow clearing makes up about 6% of our gross income. just enough to pay employes and buy equiptment. i guess you could say that it is just a hobbie for me. a hobbie that breaks even.

3. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

I work for a trucking and excavation Co. as a mechanic and operator/ driver and plow for them over the winter, this year we're just goin out because the township requested us, back by popular demand lol, anyway it helps pay off trucks and keep some of the guys busy during the winter when the workload slows down. and with the way some of our guys drive its job security keeping everything going.

4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I watch TV for a living and plow snow only when it snows

5. wddodge

wddodge Member

Main job is an automotive/lt truck mechanic. Been doing that for 31 years.

#2 job is helping out on the family farm as the season dictates.

During the winter season, blades are put on two of the tractors and my truck to play in the snow.

When there's nothing else to do, I enjoy the shooting sports.

Denny

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

We cut grass, plant trees and shrubs, and throw mulch

7. Groundmovers

Groundmovers Member
    from NE CT.

Mr Mom....:dizzy:

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

A little bit of this. A little bit of that and a whole lot of nothing.

Retired.

9. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

I work as a land surveyor right now. But i am a full time student also. Work on the femily farm when i can. Plowing is a fill in since school is usually cancelled when it snows cant go out and survey and little to nothing happening on the farm this time of season. Just a fun way for me to spend time in the winter
    Evan

10. maxwell

maxwell Member
    from nw ohio

teacher 15 years... the best retirement in the country and great benefits along with the fun of teaching kids keeps me from walking away from it and just doing snow removal and landscape... its tough as there are times where i'll make more in 2 storms than i make in 1 year of teaching

11. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I'm a Career Firefighter, a part time 911 dispatcher, volunteer Firefighter, and just started my landscaping/snow plowing business...

12. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I do lawns, caretaking and snow. Snow is all supplemental as far as I am concerned. My goal is to get more caretaking (from Oct - May), and snow is all an added bonus to my income.

13. makplow

makplow Senior Member

I own my own fence co, specializing in custom wood fencing. :waving:

14. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Believe it or not thats the Job I want. :dizzy:

Ask the GF.

15. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

It really seems like an easy job..

Don't see why women make it sound so hard. I'm used to dealing with big time deadlines, working 24 hours a day. Actual physically and mentally exhausting work..

Taking care of a few kids would be sweet. How hard can it be? Shopping, diapers, movies, food, laundry, etc..? Am I missing something..

16. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

Ever listen to the country singer Lonestar - Mr Mom ?

17. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Lawn Service, Shrubs and Mulch in the warmer months and Snow in the winter.

18. crystaltopaz84

crystaltopaz84 Junior Member

Yep I've found myself one great man here. :nod: Any guy who actually wants to be a stay at home dad is definitely a keeper. I know he really enjoys the snow plowing too though, a passion for snow we share. Now we just need to see more of it instead of this stupid rain.:angry:

qualitylawncare: You obviously have no experience caring for children, especially toddler or younger. I don't have any of my own yet, but I've been caring for children of all ages for years and let me tell you that lonestar song is very true. Gretchen Wilson also has a song about being a full-time parent, it really is a full-time job and no where near being easy. Although, it is so rewarding that all the hard work and stress is well worth it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  19. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

YUP.......:nod: :nod:

20. danno

danno Senior Member

I do Executive Protection. Right now, I keep a CEO, and his family safe at their residence. He has 24hr. security. I am a retired NYPD officer, and have training in "EP" work. I also have a long driveway, and a couple of friends who I plow their driveways,too.

I have a great job, and has finally helped me keep up with the "Bills". I also love the "art" of plowing, and even though I don`t have "accounts" like alot of guys here, I`m always interested in new ways of doing it.