1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mail order plows?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Paydaze, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Paydaze

Paydaze Junior Member

Has anyone found a site or place that sells Western plows? I was wondering if it would be cheaper to buy mail order? thanks

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Paydaze, I looked into buying a new western 7 1/2
    from central pts whse........At the time the plow was
    $2492 plus $40 for GM wiring harness for lights and
    $170 for shipping to Syr. NY. Then I would have to
    install it myself....No problem with that cuz I have
    swapped my old western from truck to truck since
    I buy a new one every 3 years anyway.
    Would have cost $2702 plus my time installing.
    Talked to new western dealer he wanted $2900
    installed plus tax. So for the couple of hundred diff
    I figured WTF let them do it ! No regrets..........Geo

BTW: I used my tax # and didn't have to pay tax
    anyway...It pays to shop around !....Good luck..

I sure hope we get some snow..I want to play
    with my new truck and plow !!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Taxes

sonjaab,

Since you bought the plow out of state and had it shipped than there would be no sales tax anyway. I live in Indiana, about 45 minutes from Central Parts. I buy stuff from them and just tell them I am shipping it to Indiana so tax isn't an issue. Plus, you don't have to give them your tax ID #. Legally you cannot use your tax ID# for parts for your truck. Only if you plan to use the product in a manufacturing setting or if you plan to resell the item for a profit. By giving Central youtr ID# you are taking the chance on opening up a can of worms if THEY ever get audited.

5. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Make sure if your'e going to install the plow yourself, are you entitled to the same warrantee if it were installed by a dealer?
    Secondly, if you qualify for a valid tax exemtion (there are many different ones) you do not have to pay tax in your state. And i'm not talking about a tax ID # either. (good luck with that)

6. Plow Meister

John, you are correct about not hving to pay sales tax in your own state. However, a sales tax exemption certificate is only for the purchase of goods for the purpose of resale or for parts / machinery used for the practice of manufacturing goods for resale. That is the only reason a sales tax exemption certificate is issued for. I am sure there are loopholes that can be found (I know I am always looking for them) but it is illegal to use the sales tax exemption cert. to purchase a plow unless you plan to resell it (immediately).

7. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Plow Miester

I was reading sonjaab's message & he bought & had it installed locally by a new western dealer, not from Central parts. So I don't think he's in any trouble IMO. ;)

8. Plow Meister

Yea, I saw that, Ohio. Actually, I saw it a little too late. For the extra $200.00 I would have someone else do it too. Especially on a new Chevy with DRL's and a Western plow. Too much wiring and relay's and headaches. The mount is a snap, though. Can't really complain about that.

9. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Plow Miester

I bolted & wired my Boss in a little over 4 1/2 hrs(2001 Chevy HD). & think it was worth the know how & saved $275.00, but to each his own. I've done all my own repairs over the last 27 yrs. Plus this was my first Boss, I've had Myer, Western before & really like the Boss. I just installed another Boss on a 2001 2500 Dodge for 1 of my friends & it's easier each time. I've installed about 100 plows in 27 yrs. :)

10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

On this tax issue, the only way I see Sonjaab's purchase being sales tax exempt is if he is a municipality or non-profit organization. Or cash sale?

11. Plow Meister

I have heard very good things about BOSS plows and their installations. I don't know if you are farmilliar with Western wiring but on the new Chevy's you have 6 relays that have to be wired plus a DRL module that has to be wired.

I have installed 20 of them so far this year and every one seems to pose their own set of head scratchers.

Good luck with your new truck and plow. I am anxious to hear the reviews on the new GM 3/4 tons. I am sure they will perform even better than expected.

12. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Plow Miester

I'll let you know how everthing goes if we ever get some SNOW!!! I've have owned 72 Jeep C-J-5, 1973 F-350 dully,1978 Dodge Warlock 4x4,1979 F-350 dully,1986 Chevy K2500,1994 K1500 Ext.cab, all with plows & can say I've liked them all. This new HD seams like it's going to be 1 bad a$$ truck with a lot of power. :D Brent

13. Plow Meister

Even a cash sale is not tax exempt. I don't know about municipalities. or NPO's.

You can use your tax exemption cert wherever you want. Every business will accept it. It is just a metter of what the end use of the purchase is. I thought about using it on my last plow purchase. It would have saved me about $125.00 but if Central were to get audited they are obligated to show all cert's including mine. Then, the feds can come and audit me. I really don't want that. I do plenty of other grey area stuff that I don't want to have to explain.

14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

By cash sale I was hinting at an unrecorded sale, but then you wouldn't need an exemption # for that.

As you stated earlier, the only true exemption (legal) would be for resale purpose. Here in NY I must pay sales tax on all materials used on jobs and then claim a credit when filing with the Sales Tax Commission.

15. Plow Meister

OhioSnow,

Are you near Canfield or North Lima?

16. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Plow Miester

I'm south&west of Canfield ( about 25 miles), I'm 8 mins. (5 miles)west of the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton,Ohio. :) Brent

17. sonjaab

TAX EXEMPT CERT in NY

The plow was sold by the local western dealer
    to my corporation and the corp. resold it to me
    personally. The corp. (on paper) collected the
    NYS sales tax from me. Weird how it works here
    in NY. Its the same like when the repair garage
    buys parts from the parts house . They pay no
    tax from parts supplier. But ultimately collect it
    from YOU when you pay your bill and they pay
    it to New York state sales tax bureau at the end
    of each sales tax quarter...................Geo

18. sonjaab

ANOTHER EXAMPLE,
    I own a couple of bar and resturants and a motel also
    (Why i need that plow !)
    When i buy beer and food from the distributors. I
    am not charged NYS sales tax when I buy from
    them......It is my responsibility to charge NYS
    sales tax to the ultimate consumer MY CUSTOMER !
    And report my sales and pay the taxes every calender
    1/4 to NYS sales tax. The only thing i have to pre-pay
    sales tax on is cigarettes when i buy them from a
    distributor ! Make sense............LOL

PRAY FOR LAKE EFFECT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Plow Meister

sonjaab,

The reason for that is the gov't wants every dime it can get its hands on.

Here in Indiana the sales tax is 5%

If you had a bar here and bought a bottle of beer from the Miller vendor it would cost you .50 cents. The tax on that would be .03 cents.

When you sell that bottle of beer in your bar, you sell it for $1.00. The tax on that would be .05 cents. The gov't would wrather have the .05 cents than the .03 cents.Multiply that times 24 (case) and the difference is .48 cents. It may not be much but it all adds up in the end.

20. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for keepin' as much money away from the government as possible (can you say CASH?) but the State might have a different opinion. If you pull it off, good for you!

Because I'm a contractor and not a retailer, I must pay sales tax on all my materials purchased, even those I re-sell to the customer in the form of jobs. Then when I file my sales tax report I claim a credit for the tax I paid. I guess the State figures some won't bother with the paperwork and they'll make out better.