1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

magnets failed me

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snow tender, Jan 4, 2009.

1. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

Well was driving home today when I had the S**T scared out of me. My magnet mounted amber light flew off the top of my truck and smashed through my back window. I was going maybe 55 more like 45 to 50. It came off and must have reached the cord limit and got jerked back and through the window it came. I have run these type lights and just about everyone I know have the magnet mounted light and have never heard of this happening to anyone. I have full glass coverage but it sucks to have to use it! I spent about an hour and a half cleaning glass out of my truck. After I changed my shorts. The light will not be making it back on the truck. It is in about as many pieces as my back window.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  2. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

got your attention huh???
  3. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

what brand was it? and what was the lb pull on the magnets?
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Most of them come with instructions that they are not to be used at speeds above 30 mph.
  5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i had a beacon that used to always come off at highway speeds and also had door magnets that always came off.....the becon got replaced with a bolt mounted one and the door magnet signs got replaced with stickers..
  6. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

Sounds like a good time for hideaways
  7. KCB

KCB Senior Member

That's a good one:D Too bad it was your window though...:rolleyes:
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

My magnet dual rotator is "rated" to 65mph...

Ive max out my governed stock diesel @ 100mph going down the interstate...rotator didn't move at all.

Of course I clean under there, and the one I have comes with two mags and two suction cups...and it was cheap. $200.00
  9. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I busted up laughing when I read that as my reaction woulda been just as bad. Too funny! Time for a back rack and bolt on an LED lightbar too it:D
  10. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

That happened to me a few years ago, I had a Whelen Mini edge before they got small and slim. Mine blew off my truck to the parkway, smashed the lenses and bent the aluminum channel frame. All that was salvageable was the power supply, which I used with a hide away kit in my tail lights the next year.
  11. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

After having them come off trucks on my flat bed while in tow, I knew not to go that route. I was lucky enough to have them hit the pavement instead of a return flight.

I hate shattered glass.....You'll be finding bits for a year to come.
  12. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

This was an LED low profile name brand with 4 mag. never thought it would happen. The light was just about indestructible the cord was pulled out of the housing a little other that that not a stratch on it(didn't work ). Then all of a sudden it some how got smashed into hundreds of small pieces
  13. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

All it needed was some duct tape. :D
  14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

My Whelen single beacon magnetic comes off at 66 mph. No joke. :dizzy:
  15. bigmike1289

bigmike1289 Junior Member

i got a buddy of mine who works pretty much outfitting police cars, ambulances and fire trucks who says that after a while the magnets on the light will start loosing power and will just fly off he knows cause he has had it happen to him
  16. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

ive got a double magnet with the suction cups on my truck. i clean under it good when i put it on and make sure its dry. i have had it up to 80mph and it held just fine
  17. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I bought a temporary one for a truck once and the guy warned me not to take it on the highway, sure enough he was right, fortunately it landed in the bed with out any damage
  18. lumps

lumps Senior Member

I actually got my light bar from the side of a highway... magnetic type, had blown off. So, I cleaned it up, put on a new cord (original ripped out) and bulbs, and bolted it on. Works great!

And as for magnetic signs, never again. Spent $70 on a pair, one blew off the first night I had it on (in a snow storm no less, so I wasn't even going highway speeds).