1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magnetic Whelen how to not loose it?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by On a Call, Mar 2, 2015.

1. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Had a scrap hauler on the expressway lost some sheet metal out of his uncovered semi trailer in Mich. Pieces flew over my truck and took out Whelen strobe I had for years, 24 inch., my side view mirror, and my back window where the cord run through. Chased that guy for ten miles until he pulled into the scrap yard. Where I went up and told him., he was unaware, so he says.

He called his boss the owner. Who apologized and offered to repair and replace it all.

When I put in an order for a new one I was shocked at the price....$ 1259.00

So..........I do not want loose this one through theft or wind pull off.

Any. suggestions. .
  2. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

keep it in your closet and only bring it out on New Year's Eve
  3. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

That is one way lol
  4. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Switch to LED. Got mine for $330, 28" bar, mag mount. Had to go across the state a few weeks ago, went 80 for 3 hours straight and it didn't move an inch. For the amount your paying you could have 3 spares in the shop just in case it gets stolen.
  5. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Yeah I should have. But he was willing to replace what i had. Strobes were obsolete so I did end up with a led
  6. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I drive daily to Detroit and back an hour each way 80 or so. Most days is fine but when you buck 30 mile an hour winds I had the other one blow off twice. Go back , pick up, and repair,
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  7. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Only other thing I can suggest is switch to the strongest magnets you can. I paid a little extra when I ordered mine to have 4-60# mags instead of the 40# it came with. Only a couple dollars more but the security of the extra force holding the bar was worth it.

I could have gone with 100# mags but I thought that 400#s of magnets might be a little overkill for mine.
  8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Remove the magnets problem solved.
  9. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Great point !
  10. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

iv had a beacon taken from a motel parking lot. was mag down. they took it off and cut the cord. they also took my generator as well. there lucky I didn't catch them.... BOY ARE THEY LUCKY!!!

I now have whent to full size lightbars so there harder to steal, that are bolted down, and wired in. so if someone wants to take a full size bar they have to cut the large cable and remove bolts. also if they remove my bar it will be useless with out the control box as the bar has been discontinued for 5yrs now.

also my beacons are bolted down as well now... if I go with a mag beacon I will take them off and put in the cab....
  11. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Thank you for the input