1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magnetic Mounts?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by thomas_e102, Dec 3, 2009.

1. thomas_e102

thomas_e102 Member

I am looking for my 1st mini light bar. I am looking at the ...

SoundOff Pinnacle Mini Lightbar SOEPL7 232.75

Able 2 SHO-ME Low-Profile LED Mini Lightbar AB11_1200 235.50

Mini Blitz http://www.ledoutfitters.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=83 183.00

My question is are these magnetic mounts going to keep the low profile light on my truck going down the road at 30-65 mph? Is a truck coming the other direction going to blow it off the truck?

Which of the 3 lights do you light the best. The Mini Blitz looks like the sho-me bar and is 50.00 less.
    The light is going on a 08 Chevy 1500

Thanks for the help.

2. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

eh, your not gonna be happy with that blitz...

mags will hold well but i prefer the rubber suction cup mags like this.....

http://www.fedsig.com/products/index.php?id=259

those bars in amber go fro around 325.00 but are the BEST i have seen.....period..

3. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

I second what Dissociative said...

4. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Got an Able Show Me, mini led with mag mount. I've run it up to 70 MPH with no budging.

5. Mathe

Mathe Junior Member

Why do you say that?

6. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I'd like to know this too. I had a sho-me bought on ebay the other day but someone fell in love with it and outbid me at the last min. So i am getting ready to buy one but i can't justify spending $300-400 on one.

7. benjaminlawns

benjaminlawns Junior Member

I just picked up a Whelen Responder Mini. I was told that the magnets are not as strong as the Sho-Me or SoundOff but will hold just fine. Seems solid on my roof.

8. John911

John911 Member

Responder LP comes with 4 50# pull magnets.

9. belton

belton Junior Member
    from midwest

same here ......

10. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I have 2 Code 3 420's and both are mag mount.......no issue with blowing off or movement
    They are bright
    They are cheap
    $100 or so.......
    And Code 3 service is outstanding.........they will replace a part with a phone call, no questions asked.
    I would buy them again.

INDY

11. D.todd6

D.todd6 Member

I had a federal signal streethawk lightbar on my truck with magnets. With the tailgate up it stayed on. I made the mistake of leaving my tailgate down. When I left my house it was on the top of my truck when I got to work it was in the bed shattered. The only thing that kept it from flying out onto the road was the wires. Magnets are fine for smaller lights/ligthbars but not larger lightbars. Also the magnets can rust if they are not protected frmo the elements.