1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magnetic Mount

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by fishinRI13, Oct 11, 2011.

1. fishinRI13

fishinRI13 Senior Member
    from RI

I posted this as part of another thread but I am looking at either getting the sound off pinacle or the whelen responder, havent decided yet, but what I really want to know is how well the magnetic mount in general works. I am looking to make sure I wont have to keep taking it off, I do do a lot of traveling with the truck at high speeds (i have somewhat of a lead foot). SO how well do the mounts work on the highway and things like that? I am talking higher speeds like 75-85 ( i am usually in a hurry or late). I dont want to permanently mount it because I am planning on getting rid of the truck at the end of the plow season. Thanks for the input!

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I had a sho-me led mini bar and those magnets held great. You shouldnKt have a problem. Just make sure the roof is clean and nice and dry when you put the bar on. Water will help the magnets slide.

3. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

We have four magnet/suction mount lights. They are left on all year. We have no problems driving on the interstate. One did fly off driving into 55 mph winds going 55. Driver didn't realize until heard cord flapping against rear window.

4. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

I have the Whelen Responder II Led mini.

There is a big sticker on the cigarette plug saying it's not recommended to drive with it on the roof.
    Mine hasn't fallen off yet but I have roof rack keeping it from moving back. The magnets are pretty strong.

5. Holland

Holland Senior Member

never had a problem with mine!!

6. hammerdstone

hammerdstone Junior Member

Has anybody used this light bar or would you say it a good product ?

7. hammerdstone

hammerdstone Junior Member

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Lots of guys around here and on here use that bar. Its very bright and not enough can be said about it. That's a good price for them too. Make sure its magnetic mount though and not a misprint.

9. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

Forgot to ask but what year and what kind of truck is it.
    Acari makes a great mount for having a permanent mount without drilling holes. If you happen to have a truck that fits their catalog.

Acari Mounts

10. fishinRI13

fishinRI13 Senior Member
    from RI

its a 2003 F-350, ill check that site out now, Thanks!

11. fishinRI13

fishinRI13 Senior Member
    from RI

nope they only have them 06 and up, ill get that on my next truck, thanks!

12. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

All those bars have a good history of staying on. Two things though, the sound off and able use larger magnets than the responder and no manufacturer will cover damage from a bar that flies off.

13. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

The ford cab on the super duty's is the same from '99-'12 from the "A" pillar back.

14. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

I had a dual rotator come flying off the roof and fly through the back window of my truck a few years ago.

15. firefighter4418

firefighter4418 Junior Member

i have a pinnacle mini bar and have never had any issuse i also have a ecco 5100 dual rotater with the sucation cup magnets also never a issue

16. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

If that's the case then great!!!

17. Winfrey

Winfrey Junior Member

i had a magnetic mount on my last truck and i used to even leave it on during the drive thru car wash towards the end. never had a problem