1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magnetic base/mount for spot/flood light?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by JFon101231, Dec 16, 2015.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Know its not strobe related, but seems most lighting related subforum...
    Would like to get something like this LED light bar to put on my plow
    [​IMG]

Only downside is that I tend to swap plows alot, so would like to get something that would only mount magnetically rather than bolting to the headgear or adding a strap of angle iron to 5 plows. This would also help as some of the plows have lights angled towards the ground more because some of our trucks are lifted. I would wire the truck with a simple pigtail.

I see something like I have in mind at the bottom here:
    [​IMG]

Can't seem to find just a base similar to that anywhere though? Maybe just looking in the wrong place. Thoughts/suggestions?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So then are you going to wire in all the trucks then?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

You can get those at any hardware store. I used some to raise the height of my roof light.

4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

If you're looking for the round magnets, most lighting manufacturers sell them as spare parts. I know I've purchased many of them from Star Warning Systems in nearby Avon, NY. I believe they offer small and large sizes too. Just call Star and ask for Customer Service.

Getting back to your original plan though, I'd be pretty leery of mounting anything to a plow frame with magnets. Just watch the beating your frame takes during a plow run and see if you think anything attached by magnets would stay there for very long. Hell, we've had guys knock off whole headlight assemblies - and they were bolted on last time I checked. And if anything does come off in that location, you'll run it over before you can stop.

5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Vast majority of the time I'm using 1 truck, but may use 1 of several different plows.
    Too stroked - I should have been more clear in my original post. I also do some plow repairs etc in the off season, so I envision using this prob 90% for just transport not active plowing. But you raise a good point to consider, it's likely the plow frame would be less stable than the roof of the truck where magnets work fine... I may just go with the regular light with no amber warning in it and only use for transport....

I have a star led stick in truck, will give them a buzz.

6. coke813

coke813 Member

I'm confused why you need any light in front? don't all plow headlights go on with the daytime running light now? are you worried about driving with a plow on your truck in the off-season or what? I think a 8' wide red blade with two headlights above it is pretty easy to see coming down the road.

As far as I know most warning lights are used so people see you when backing up, sitting on the edge of the road, etc. If you are driving normally, there is not need for warning lights.

7. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I am asking for help with a solution to a problem I've identified and would like to address, not sure why it keeps turning into questions on the problem itself.

In addition to plowing and using several plows as I stated, I also repair plows on the side. As a result during any typical year, I may have mounted 30 plows on my truck including my own. 'On the side' means after my "real job", therefore often times it is dark. While yes, most plows have functioning headlights, there are also often 1 of 2 problems - (1) they are pointed somewhere other than they should be , which happens quite often or (2) it is an old style 2 plug that my truck isn't wired for. If you take a plow off a 3" lifted F350 and put it on a leveled GMC, the lights will not be shining where they should be. I'm not worried about someone else seeing me, I'm worried about seeing the road, or the deer right next to it.

As far as the warning light being included, I figured if I was going to buy the bar it was only an extra $20 or something so why not. After further thought related to whether it'll stay on when actively plowing, I agreed that would be more stress and best approach would be to just use this for transport only. I do have a Star LED stick for back window.

Hopefully that clears up "the problem", and we can redirect focus to the solution again :)
    I looked on Star sight and didn't see anything listed there under accessories, but will call today.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  9. coke813

coke813 Member

Jfon, thanks for clarifying.
    I wish I had a someone willing to pick my plow up and drive it to their shop for service. Whenever mine went down, I had to figure out how to get out of work to take it in myself.

So as far as the idea of mounting lights with a magnet, I think that would work for transporting only. As long as the mount has a swivel. Like you said many different types of plows and different angles of the tower- you will need to be able to adjust the aim of the light.

I hope you understand our confusion. Generally you would not want to mount lights onto the plow itself so we were all confused.

10. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

This could be a option if you have a Harbor Freight local you can usually get it for cheaper in the store. They say it is rated for 95lbs, you could probably just mount it right to the bracket for the light without modifying anything.

http://m.harborfreight.com/66mm-round-magnet-96650.html

11. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Sorry for the confusion and my general grumpiness :)

Thanks JoeG3, 2 of those might be enough to do trick, but i need to double check the rating may be reduced as I don't think the headgear is 2.5" wide, will need to check. I misplaced link but need to share another i had come across that were small and heavy rating, a bit more pricey though.