1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magnetic Bars

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by eaglegrounds, Sep 29, 2009.

1. eaglegrounds

eaglegrounds Member

For those of you using magnetic mini-light bars, how comfortable are you with out them flying off? Goes for both low profile and not-so-low profile mini bars.

I think i wanna go magnetic so i can take it off when needed and move it if ever need quickly, but don't know if i can travel where i do with it on?

Any opinions?

I am looking at this mini-bar: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200361857_200361857

-EagleGrounds

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

3. eaglegrounds

eaglegrounds Member

Thanks, i always forget about search buttons until after i post. :/

4. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

You will be good. Its just mini bars like the edge that are so big arnt such a good idea. Anything else should work just fine.

5. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Fly off? I'm afraid I'm going to rip a hole in my cab when I take it down. I'd put something between your cab and those magnetic feet though. They do rust, and can leave some nasty marks on your cab. A good deal is the mini unit from Soundoff signal.

[​IMG]

24 flash patterns, can be had for around 300-400 clams.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  6. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Never had an issue with a magnetic flying off...the only part I dislike; removing them as one said.
    The cord can also be a small problem at times but it works for quik change of trucks if you may need a different piece of equipment.
    I have two and use them on a loader and a spare P-U

7. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

That L.E.D. Mini is nice. Only thing that shys me away from going magnetic is the fact of tearing up my paint. Eventually when I get another truck I'll put a backrack on and bolt up a 60" L.E.D probably.

8. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

If you use a lexan clear plastic coating, similar to the 3m Nose covering for auto/trucks; you can avoid scratches.

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Becareful what you put under your magnets. I have a mini code 3 led x 2100 ($500.00) take flight when I put tape under them. The bar shattered all over the highway. I was only going 60, but it was kind of wet so it slid right off the truck.

10. DHDB

DHDB Member

http://www.awdirect.com/microbar-36...2-watts-amber-mb360faa/strobe-mini-lightbars/

From AW Direct. Nice product. Be careful if you place something under the magnets, they will lose some of their "pulling-power" and you could lose your light due to speed or weather (rain). I mount mine when it's dry and leave it. Just buff off the rust marks at the end of the season. Also get a piece of magnet (4"X12") and use it to secure the wire to the roof. Sometimes it will "chatter" and leave some marks.

11. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Thanks for adding that all, you are correct about different tapes... thats why I mentioned the plug "3m"; should have mentioned others that failed. any who...back to the pages.

12. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

put a sheet of 3m tape under the whole bar. whelen lights use either 2 or 4 90lb pull magnets. provided the surface is dry it will not move. if you can get it to fly off. you should be cited by the police for wreckless driving.

it obviously going to fly off if you hit a bump at 100 miles per hr on the highway. so keep in mind that it is up there and will want to move.

ive played around with the whelen magnets before and they have enouph force to grab eachother through you hand. and if they stick together they have to get pryed apart or demagnetized to release. they are strong. but sticking them right to meal is your best bet.

if you go with a lo pro it wont move at all that guardian will be more likely to fly off b/c it has 2 magnets and is tall. the thin mini bars ir liberty and justice wont move.

13. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

I totally agree with the above post. I've been using magnetic mount mini lightbars (Whelen 9M Strobe) for 10 years now.

NEVER once lost or even moved one and I run the truck through the car wash after EVERY storm with the light bar still on.

In regards to putting something on the bottom of the magnets, I totally agree. Believe it or not, I use duct tape and have never once had an issue.

You could use electrical tape also as it might be a little thinner, but the trick to it is ensuring that the surface is clean and dry when mounting.

14. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

use duct tape as well on the bottom of two mini star dual rotators. the tape is thin enough they still hold well but thick enough to keep from scratching the truck roof

15. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Is there anything that Duct Tape cannot do?
    It can even do the things that tie-wraps do

16. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

17. FD39901

FD39901 Junior Member

I had a mini edge magnet mount and had no trouble with it coming off going down the road even at 60 mph plus.I also had a full size edgewith gutter mounts and I used a round 7 pin trailer plug set up so that I could remove it in the spring time.