1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magnet or suction magnet ?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Hedgehog, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Senior Member

I'm looking to buy a LED minibar for my Toyota Tundra. The lightbar i'm looking at is available with 4 magnets or 2 big suction magnets. Which one works better? I plan on leaving the minibar on during the winter season and travel the highway everyday to work and back, so 80 mph is not uncommon.
  2. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

I don't have any experience with suction magnets but I can tell you something about magnets. I recently purchased a mini strobe that has 4-35LB magnets and is approximately 5"X7"X16". I imagine it has more surface area to catch wind than the LED one you're looking to buy. I was up to 80 MPH with 25 MPH gusts of wind one day and up to 90 MPH another day without winds and didn't have any problems with it moving. They do mention that the composition of roofs may affect magnetic ability and mine is on a Dodge Ram so take the information for what it's worth.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The suction mags work the best. My boss demoed one and its awesome. And they don't leave marks on the roof either.
  4. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

I recently bought a double rotator with the suction/magnets. On my new Chevy, with it's super thin metal, I didnt seem to hold well if I lifted it straight up ( when I 1st put it on ), but held decent if I tried to slide it backwards. I took it on the freeway and did 80mph, and it held fine. I went to take it off the other day to run the truck through a carwash and let me tell you, that dude was on there! I could not lift it straight up at all! There is a little rubber tit on the suction cup, to help break the suction. Once I did that, then I had to place a blanket under it, so I could go to the other side and release that side. Then it would slide towards me.
  5. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

a very accurate description....steel mags are a thing of the past...get the suctions.