1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magnet mount

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by exmark, Feb 22, 2011.

1. exmark

exmark Senior Member

So I recently hand washed my truck since the weathers been so nice lately. Anyways I pulled my light bar off and the four magnets left some pretty nice marks on the roof. I then rubbed a lot of the marks off, but I want to find something to put under the magnets to help with less scratching on the paint. What has worked best for you guys? Thanks.

2. topdj

topdj Senior Member

i used saran wrap

3. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Does the magnet ever break threw? Otherwise I could defiantly see it working.

4. topdj

topdj Senior Member

dental dams work too and provide some slip resistance. they are good for one season if you leave the light on

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  5. exmark

exmark Senior Member

:laughing: good one

6. ff1241

ff1241 Member

7. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I put a strip on duct tape on mine seems to help. You can also get rubber coated magnets or they also make "boots" to go over the magnets.

8. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

There used to be a product designed just for that sold through radio shops for HAM operators to use on mag antenna bases- had one on my antenna for 10 plus years now and works GREAT - non skid too, but can;t find them or anything like them now for my light bar.

10. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I've used electrical tape on my 07 chevy since new. Just put a couple of pieces on each magent sticky side onthe magent itself. Light has been on there since new and just replaced the tape this year, seems to work well.

11. snowjim88

snowjim88 Junior Member
    from CT

If you are worried about the markings from a magnetic mount, in the future you may want to consider the ACARI drill free mounting platform. Instead of the possibility of scratches, rusting, or the light bar slipping on the roof, you can mount your lights, gps, etc. to the mounting platform which attaches through the cab brake light hole. It is more of a permanent solution than a magnetic or suction mount but can also be removed to look just like new with no new holes.

Check out their website and look at the install video which shows how it attaches.
    www.acariproducts.com

12. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

you can also get some rubber boots to put on the magnets... you can try going to Harbor Freight...they've got some rubber stuff in a can for like tools and stuff you can use...about $7 a can and you can paint it on or dip it!

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

1st akari's webpage has been hacked. second their product is bulky...saw it when it was released at Sirennet- not impressed. The top half needs to be refined, or removed to make it more compact.
    I use mag mount to be able to remove it easily and quickly as much as avoid drilling- this thing defeats that ability.

14. snowjim88

snowjim88 Junior Member
    from CT

I just looked at their website and it looks like they must have cleaned up whatever happened.

Also, I just measured one of the platforms we bought and it is only about two inches off of the roof at the highest point. I see what you mean about it possibly being a bit tall, but imagine trying to get a wrench into it to tighten a bolt if it was half an inch tall... Also, you cant eliminate the top because without the top you dont have any area to mount your light on.

Glad to hear your mag mount works well for what you are doing, I was just showing an alternative for those who thought that the only way to have a light and not drill holes was a mag or suction mount.