1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magnaflow Muffler...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Nov 10, 2008.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Can anyone tell me what the correct universal muffler part # on magnaflow's site is? I'm thinking it's part # 12599, but wanted to get a second opinion before I order one- anyone? Also- how long should it take a shop to take out the stock muffler, and install this one- do they just cut out the stock muffler and weld the new one right in place with the rest of the exhaust system in place?

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Can anyone shed some light on this?
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your planning on having to do exhaust modifications and having an exhaust shop do some custom pipe bending correct?

Because just because your choice is a duel 3" inlet/outlet muffler it's not going to be a "bolt on" install with no mods to the factory pipes as the pipe spacing will be completely different between your stock pipes and the inlets/outlet on the Magna muffler.

In other words, no matter which p/n muffler you choose your going to need to do pipe work regardless.

The #12599 would be a good start if you want duel 3" tailpipes....
  4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Can the shop bend the pipe that's already on the truck? Will they have to remove the whole exhaust system from my truck to do this?
  5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

More than likely they will want to bend a new piece from the cat on back to the muffler. You can't bend an already bent piece easily and the stock piece might not be long enough. You want them to replace from the cat on back, with your new choice of muffler.
  6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Would it just be easier (and cheaper) to get a complete cat-back system for my truck? Does anyone know where to get one?
  7. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Don't know if it would be cheaper. Call a local muffler shop and ask them for a aproxximate price to do the work. They should be able to give you a estimate, make sure you tell them that you have a muffler for them to install. Cat back systems are nice cause they are designed and tested for your truck but not exactly cheap. I haven't bought one in some time, last one i installed was on my '95 Dodge Dakota, it was new at the time so that tells you how long ago.LOL I paid $350 for a Gibson cat back system for that truck. But it was worth every penny.:D
  8. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Just go to your local muffler shop already and talk with them. I got a Quote of $350 for custom bent 2.5" exhaust from the cats back with a flowmaster super 44 and 2 4" tips. With 2 high flow cats It would have been about $670 iirc. I ended up just putting in 2 cherry bomb turbos (quiet muffler) and then turndowns after the mufflers. all for about $50 (I installed them myself).