1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

magic

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MJM Landscaping Inc, Feb 18, 2001.

1. MJM Landscaping Inc

MJM Landscaping Inc Junior Member

Need some help here.
    Couple of weeks ago I got my first order of mountain magic. I only had a chance to use it once on a limited basis. I use meyer/buyer tailgate spreaders. The problem I found is the magic will not spread it would clump. Not like regular salt when it gets wet and solidifies. About evry 10-15 ft I was getting out of the truck and knocking the magic down the spreader. It just would not slide down the spreader on its own. My observations tell me its because the product is wet or I should say moist compared to rock and calcium. I know most of you guys use bulk salt but has anyone had this problem with either sprayed magic or the bagged. I have heard such good things about this product, I sure hope I can come up with a solution. I purchased 6 pallets of the stuff.

Thanks for any help!

Mark A Musolf

2. Winterworks

Winterworks PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a buyers (tractionmaster up here)and we were using Magic in it most of the year with none of the problems you mentioned. I actually found that the Magic worked better than the bagged regular salt as it did not clump as easily and it was lubed so to speak. Maybe you received a few bad bags? I would still be using it if I could find it.

Pat

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Maybe try cleaning the hopper and shooting some silicone spray or wd40 on the inside before you fill it. I dont know if it'll help,but with 6 pallets left,you had better find a way to use it.I use it in a V-box-so i dont have any of those problems.

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Its my experience that single stage spreaders just are not worth the hassle, but try a vibrator kit for it. That will keep the material from clogging. Also you could try and make the bottom hole a little larger, that may let the material flow easier.
    Dino

5. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Dino,
    Where do you find a vibrator kit?:D

6. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

We have a buyers spreader and use solar salt for parking lots only. The only problem we have is big chunks of salt stopping the auger. Where do u store the salt? Do you have a lid for the speader. Moisture really screws up the salt...esp when you need it the most.

7. plowking35

from SE CT

Well aside from a few adult sites, I think any distributor can get them.
    Alan bought one a while back, and he may know a direct dealer to consumer place of purchase.
    Dino

8. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

If there is a TrynEx dealer near you they offer a vibrator kit for their SnowEx line of spreaders. I think they are generic enough to fit any brand as long as there is a falt area on the lower, tapered portion of the hopper. I put one on my SnowEx and it did wonders for the way the spreader works. I can run anything that is small enough to not jam the feed auger, up to and including wet sand and Magic salt.

9. Mike Nelson

Will the ones from the adult stores work?cause I bet they would be cheaper to buy!:D

10. plowking35

from SE CT

They are cheaper to begin with, but cost more in the long run due to battery replacement.
    Dino

11. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah,, but if you get the "Wascally Wabbit" model it both shakes AND stirs! :)

12. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Gosh I hope it snows soon in your neck of the woods.
    The strain is really beginning to show.

13. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

We need snow bad-you guys are a riot.What colors do the vibrators come in?I bet you would be the talk of the towm with 2 'adult store type" strapped to the spreader humming away while you spread.I could see it now,im going to fall out of my chair!

14. John Allin

I gotta go now.
    Peggy just walked in and told me I have to stop playing and do some paperwork.
    I hate when that happens.
    I tried to tell her that I AM working, but she isn't buying it.

15. John Allin

I'll sneak back on later when I get home.....

Don't tell her.....

16. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Mike,

Del Hydraulics sells a dump box vibrator,23" long x 8 1/2" high x 9" wide. Maybe a lot bigger than what you need.
    http://www.delhydraulics.com

Gene

17. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

OK here is an alternative to buying the expensive salt spreader vibrators if you are mechanically inclined. Buy a used starter motor, mount it to the spreader, mount a piece of metal to the shaft that spins in such a way that it is unbalanced, connect switched electric to it & shake that salt down the hatch. I can give you better details if you want, just have to talk to the 2 guys that I know with this set up.

18. Mike Nelson

O.K. what happens if we turn things around?

We take the hopper vibrators and strap them to the bed!:D

Just an idea!

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Mike, now we know where you spend your time when you aren't posting here or at SIMA. LOL, JK (maybe)

20. Mike Nelson

Mark,
    You have to remember I am married with children...

But!!!!

maybe if we had one of those strapped to my bed.:D