1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Tuscany, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Tuscany

Tuscany Junior Member

Hey guys. I'm in Massachusetts. I need help. Has anyone used magic salt? It's a treated salt that can be damp and wet. I have been using it for about 4 years now with the walk behind spreaders, but the site is growing and I would like to get a sander. I would like to use a fisher tail gate spreader to spread it. The Fisher salesman told me to post a question here. Will the Fisher tail gate spreader work or would it be useless. Any other recommendation on a sander/salt spreader works best with magic salt? What about the new Fisher poly electric sander? I have a GMC 2500 HD (6 foot bed) and a Ford F350 Super Duty pick up (short bed) and an F550 diesel dump truck. I would like to keep the dump truck free this winter, but have a Lull with forks to remove the sander if necessary. Any recommendations?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've been making and using Magic Salt for about seven years. Never used it in a sander, but I think you'd be good with a 2-stage tailgate. Little too "wet" for a 1-stage.

3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

As long as its a 2 stage tailgate spreader(the fisher one has a small belt on the bottom of it) it should work fine.

4. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

are you making the same thing or similiar product? Do you buy their product and mix yourself? You sell it or just for your own use?

5. Fisher Speedcaster2 no Problem. Snowex 1575 no problem. Snowex 7500. No Problem. Any of the poly hoppers are fine. Re:tailgate spreaders.. If it won't flow well just add a vibrator. If it can run salt/sand it will run Magic. No biggie.

www.brennanlandscapinginc.com
    Your Complete Lawn and Landscaping Company

6. Mick

from Maine

I use Magic -0 and rock salt mixed to the same ratio (I think 1 qt to an 80 bag). If you're interested in buying, I'd refer you to a local distributor. There are two listed as dealers in Scarborough, who'd be a lot closer for you.

7. kyle1710

kyle1710 Member
    from ohio

How do you go about mixing it? do you dump bags out and mix on the ground and then load the spreader or can you mix in the spreader itself?

8. Mick

from Maine

I empty four or five 80lb bags into the loader on my tractor, pour a couple gallons of Magic -0 over it and let it sit for 3-4 hours. Then start "turning" it with a shovel and add just a little more Magic -0 on top to make sure the salt is completely saturated. Then shovel into 55 and 30 gallon drums with locking lids. You'll have liquid left over in the loader (runoff). I'll either throw some salt in it to use it or dump it on the ground to act as a pre-treatment.

9. kyle1710

kyle1710 Member
    from ohio

How much do you save in terms of salt usage and $ for the additional work involved?

10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

wow sounds like a real PITA

11. Mick

from Maine

Not really. Sounds worse than it is. I only want small quantities for my purpose. If I wanted more, I could do without the hand turning and storing in barrels. I guess the main advantage is that I control the mixing quality. I'm sure there are some here who realize what I'm doing.

12. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

most "dealers" will spray your bulk salt pile also... just be there with a skid or tractor to turn the pile... real easy... I think the cost is around $32 yard to have them spray but from what I hear you save time, follow up calls, and use less product with magic... I'm trying it for the first time this year so its all hearsay for me to this point

13. Tuscany

Tuscany Junior Member

Hey guys thanks for all the advice. So, a tailgate spreader is my plan and one of the models mentioned. It's appreciated. I normally buy Magic Salt in bulk. I make a box area out of 2 x 12s and use a piece of rubber roof to lay in it. Just dump the bulk magic salt into that and toss a tarp over it and then lay wood and a few stones to keep the tarp down. I did make it in the past, but unless I did it myself, my guys just screwed it up. I don't think I really saved all that much money and the shoveling to turn it (although I have a backhoe and used that, but you still need some hand shoveling work) was a pain in the neck. I think per ton I was saving around $20 per ton doing it myself. It's just easier to buy it, if you get a great price on it. I do know that you can save money if you buy a whole trailor load of it already mixed, but it's the storage of it that can be tough in doing that.

14. Tuscany

Tuscany Junior Member

One more thing. I found that different places make it different so watch out. They make it nice for you at first and then cheapen up the mix as the winter goes on to pad their pockets. I have been using one place that makes it for the last three years and they do make it a little wet, but it works nice. Over the years I have tried other products, but Magic Salt is amazing and it's amazing how fast it breaks up ice with just a little bit of it. Not to mention, I barely have any problems with burnt out lawns in the spring. I have used on all types of steps and walkways: concrete to brick to bluestone to granite and have never has a problem with any staining or flaking.

15. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I was quoted 3.60 a gal bring your own buckets for the liquid and i dont remember exact but it was something like 150 a yard for bulk magic