1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by scottbmcd, Mar 11, 2009.

1. scottbmcd

scottbmcd Junior Member

Anyone out there using the "MAGIC SALT" products. And what do you think of it?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes. Been making it and selling it for about seven or eight years. If it didn't work, I wouldn't be either one.

3. scottbmcd

scottbmcd Junior Member

does it affect fake rock like regular mag/cal products do? In need of something "GREEN" in Northern Colorado.

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm 99% sure it is a ''green'' product.I remember reading the data on it about safe for vegetation,non-corrosive,etc.I use it occassionally--fantastic stuff. Why don't you just do a search though to be certain and print it out for your client?

5. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

What is the price of this stuff per gallon??

6. Mick

from Maine

Magic Salt is sold by the pound.

Magic -0 (the liquid stuff that is applied to rock salt to make Magic Salt) is sold by the gallon. Price varies by dealer. Look up your nearest dealer on their site (I'm not a dealer):

http://www.magicsalt.info/

7. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

Mick,

How does spraying regular rock salt with a chemical and turning it into magic salt make it safe for concrete surfaces? Once the magic -0 washes off isnt it the same as plain rock salt??

8. Mick

from Maine

Salt absorbs the Magic -0. Then as the snow/ice melts, the salt dissolves and is diluted. It is therefore far less toxic than in its solid state. Realize that the chemical composition of salt is not altered. Think of drinking a glass of water into which you've mixed 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt vs eating 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Actually, the salt in Magic Salt is diluted even further than my example.

Sorry, I didn't address your question about concrete. Damage to concrete is from the freeze/thaw cycle. Straight salt freezes at approx 17F, then thaws, then freezes and so on until the salt is diluted out which results in cracking. Magic -0 lowers the freeze point to something like -30F. So there is no, or much less, freezing/thawing going on.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  9. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

Thanks for the help Mick, that makes sense.

Another question....The "Magic salt" I have been getting is not actually "Magic Salt" It is treated with a similar chemical and works/looks/smells the same, but is about $40/ton cheaper when I buy it by the triaxle.

Would the same thing as you said above be true for this type of material also? I mean it is the same rock salt, treated with the chemical and it is good to -20 or -30 degrees, the same as magic salt..

10. Mick

from Maine

Hard to tell, but maybe similar. Look at the MSDS or find out the main additive. Probably Magnesium Chloride.

Realize, I'd never say "it's the same thing". That would be like saying Boss and Blizzard straight blade plows are the same thing. The both push snow, they're both well-built products and one likely costs less than the other. But that would just start a "brand war". You'll need to compare the two and arrive at your own conclusion.

11. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

Yeah definitally hard to tell. When i call up the company I ask for magic salt, but I know its not the same. It comes from Gateway Terminal in New Haven CT. I will get more info just to be sure.

My idea is to use it instead of buying pallets of mag/cal for walkways. It costs me 400 bucks for 2500 lbs of this product, if i can get away with using this treated salt it will only cost me like 150 for the same amount of product.

12. draffinc

draffinc Member

13. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

Whats the advantage of magic -0 campared to calcium chloride? I got prices today on both magic -0 they want $4.50 a gallon and $1.30 a gallon for chloride, so thats a huge price difference.

14. Mick

from Maine

The difference between Magnesium Chloride and Calcium Chloride.

15. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

I'm new to the liquid word, so bare with me. Whats the advantage of mag. compared to calcium. I would really like to run magic next year, but I dont know if the customers will pay that much. How many gallons of magic would you use per acre compared to calcium?

16. Mick

from Maine

I think they say about 1/3, but might want to talk to others who've used it. There's just too much involved for this forum and I'd suggest doing a few Google searches to research the two (Mag and Calcium Chloride). Find an MSDS site for each, print them off and compare the two. Spend some time educating yourself on their uses. It might be that for your application, the cheaper is the better choice. But be careful or you can do a lot of damage which you'd have to repair.