1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Stud Bro, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

Is magic salt worth the extra money? Is it what they really claim it to be? Do you really use 50% less salt? any body using it? Let me know thinking about treating one pile and seeing how it works this year?
  2. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

I tried 6 tons last year and was very disappointed. clumped up, tracks brown, stinks, and saw no increase in melting (did test sites 1/2 magic- 1/2 straight salt. dealer said it was do to too much moisture in salt and he'll treat anther 6 tons for free to test again this year. hope it works I only got 1/2 my salt this year and need to make it stretch. also testing treatment with dow flake and mag clor will keep you posted on our findings.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've been using Magic Salt for seven years - but I make my own by mixing Magic -0 with rock salt. I think it works very well and my customers agree. I've sold to the same ones for years. The key is in using the right amount of Magic -0. And the less moisture in the salt to begin with - the better. Although I have used some pretty moist salt to begin with; then I use more Magic -0 than recommended and keep pouring the runoff back over the salt I just treated. Usually, the worst I'll have is a thin crust on the top that can be easily broken up.
  4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I have farted around with it for the last couple years.
    It is a pretty good product, but way over priced IMO. That was when rock salt was 52 a ton though, and magic was $3.50 a gallon times 8 gallons per ton. Not sure what you were quoted for bulk magic this season.
    I did have some major issues with a re-freeze last year but that was do to wet bulk that I treated on my own in the loader bucket as we loaded the v-box.
    It does work very well for colder temps for sure. IMO I dont think I used 50% less salt on any sites ever.
    When you get wet heavy snow, like we frequently get in IL you will not save a whole lot on product usage.
    Magic dilutes very easily with any moisture, so you have to tarp your pile and v-box. Very well.

One good thing is you can keep the v-box loaded when the bulk is tarped and treated properly with out fear of freeze up.

Oh ya dont let it any were near aluminum, it ate my nice barrel pump up in no time.
    I have a couple hundred gallons of Ice Ban to work with this year, and I also plan to try out at least one barrel of Geo Melt as well.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Nothing is better for melting when it gets real cold.I've been using it for about 7 years now--the hardest thing for me is not to use as much magic as my salted sand.The trick is to store it inside which is where I buy it already pre-mixed.And I love that molasses smell.
  6. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

thanks for the info guys