1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Pennings Garden, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

What are the going rates for Magic Salt by the bag in your neck of the woods?? I'm waiting on some prices around here but the price from a local guy here comes out to 11 50 pound bags is the same as a full yard?!? Is this out of whack or normal?

2. Not sure what you mean with the comparison to a yard.. We sell it between 12.50 & 14.50 a bag...depending on count.

3. Chieftkp

Chieftkp Junior Member

Yea it's expensive stuff, $14.50 for 50lb bag. Over $700 a pallet. That's the price I got quoted in NH.

4. Pennings Garden

from VA

That's what I mean, I can get it for $12.50 a bag if I buy a full pallet. Or I can get it bulk by the ton (or yard) for about 140 a ton. In bags a ton will cost me $500.-. Maybe I should re-think this whole "I'll get tail gate spreader instead of a v-box and safe a little money this year" theory I got going....

5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

so whats the retail for magic by the tonne... $140.. wow, were gettin jipped up here... Our reg. bulk salt is goin for 120 a tonne... why is everthing up here 2-3x what u guys get it for??? tymusic

6. Most of our customers who buy bags are those who use them on sidewalks. Hospitals, Nursing homes, management companies, colleges and those who don't like calcium. Basically they stopped using calcium and now use magic..
    Even though I will lose $$, often I will try and convince my customers to buy a yard of Magic and use it in a tailgate spreader...

7. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Pennings,

We have several pallets of magic we have left over from when we were dealers for them I'll work you a good deal. You will have to pick it up at our yard in Vernon, NJ. I think it's about an hour and fifteen minute ride for you.

8. Pennings Garden

from VA

And just leave it lose in the back of my dump truck? or do they shovel the salt in storage containers?
    Bren, this is of topic, but, do you store your magic salt inside? I have allot of local landscapers asking if I want to start caring bulk magic salt our garden center. I have been thinking about it for about a year now but don't have any place to store it inside and have not come up with a affordable solution. any suggestions?

9. Yes, they leave the magic right in the back of the pick up.. Just need to tarp it..Wet salt is bad...My one customer has used magic for 7yrs now. He used to drive to Poughkeepsie 1.5 hrs away to get it. His truck bed was in perfect shape.
    In terms of bulk salt. We have a 14 x 24 covered bin with 2 blocks high..I wish we had an area to store it inside but not yet...In terms of selling bulk, I guess you have to decide if there is enough demand for it..(or any salt)

10. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Wow!!

Those look like some good prices!! The quote I got from my local guy for Magic was a bit high (I thought anyway). $757.50/skid (49 bags) = 15.46/bag or $23.79/bag (individual 50#). Now this seems out of wack!! I don't have the room right now for a full skid, but either way I think it's way too expensive. I love the Magic Salt, but my customers will freak if I suddenly hit them with with an increase like that (last year I paid 13/bag at the hardware store).:realmad:

11. Pennings Garden

from VA

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I hope your not paying $120/ tonne. We buy direct for about $64 as would most places that sell salt. Most place's add $30/tonne for resale, so we're at $96.

Why don't you just spread regular bulk salt. I can't see the benefit in spreading $140 Magic unless it's very cold or your contract specifies it. Try both and make your own opinion, don't always believe everything you hear and read. Most tests done with Magic are done on the roads and those benifits don't always apply to parking lots. JMO

13. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

holy smokes... ya man, were payin $114 / yard before taxes. Blam's up in Kitchener, Compact sod (green horizons group of farms) is even more expensive.... Go figure??? And i'd say about 70% of the plowing contractors go to that place where I'm getting it from... all of us are getting screwed! thanks for the info tho.... best of luck this season, real trick set-up you have going there by the way!

14. draffinc

draffinc Member

Actually tests done here are on parking lot surfaces as well, and remember you actually save money by using magic since it is more effective at lower quantities exhibiting more melting power per volume, it will save you money on time, labor while reducing downtime and increasing productivity..my 2 cents

15. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Magic is a tuff sell here. The cost of Magic per bag is more then Cal pellets :rolleyes: IMO its Pretty spendy for a bag of rock salt with some fu fu dust added. Dont get me wrong, the stuff works well, but not well enough to justify prices above 10 bucks.
    I have also found that Magic is not all that its advertised to be. The residual is not as effective as claimed. Im sure we didnt use 1/3rd less either. I used it on walks last year, we got good results. If I was paying 12.50 and up a bag I would just purchase Dow pellets for the same price, or less.
    We mix our own Magic for walks, costs me about 4 and change per bag. We only handle walks for 3 Banks, so were only using about 5 bags per event now. Last year was about 10 bags per event.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  16. draffinc

draffinc Member

So T, you guys are mixing your own at a less expensive rate which is a great idea,and if i'm understanding you correctly you used 10 bags last year and only five bags this year per event so isn't that actually 50% less or am i not understanding you properly. just curious

Darren

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think you better read it again. He has less sidewalks this year, so he's using less product. How much Magic do you use a year Draffinc? or do you sell it?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  18. draffinc

draffinc Member

Dave,
    Both. Last year we used 1550 tons between using and selling.
    Darren

19. cmlandscape

cmlandscape Junior Member
    from NJ/NY

You was a dealer for MagicSalt? how did it go? You're not a distributor anymore? why not?

20. snowman2007

snowman2007 Junior Member

That magic salt SUCKS! You Need to use the MAG calcium. It spreads nice a doesn't clump.