1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mtfd774, Nov 18, 2005.

1. mtfd774

mtfd774 Member
    from conn

Hey guys. Has anyone used Magic Salt in a push spreader. I just picked up a Meyers Shot spreader . Just wondering if it will bind up

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I use Magic Salt in one of those cheap spreaders from Home Depot - I think it was the $39 variety. Worked fine.

3. little pat

little pat Member

Watch your moisture content with Magic. I used it last year and had nothing but problems. We were delivered a wet load and it froze solid rendering our equiptment useless. Neither the distributor or the main office would fix the problem. I wouldn't use their product again if it was free.

4. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

little pat... wouldn't you have the same problem if you were delivered wet bulk salt as well? Where did you get your magic salt from last year?

thanks

Chris

5. little pat

little pat Member

Hey Chris, Yes we would have had the same problem. My problem was that I called the distributor numerous times with the freeze up problem and they gave me every excuss in the book as to why it wasn't their fault. In the end they admitted they had delivered wet loads to us as well as other contractors. You would think after admitting they screwed up they would do something to make the situation right. Nope, they tried to get me to purchase more product. I then called the main office and talked to John Oaks. He said he would straighten out the situation. He didn't do a thing and will not return my calls. As far as where I got the wet load, Enviromental Solutions.

6. It does not matter what product is sprayed on rock salt. If the salt is wet, the product will not stick very well. Generally it isn't a problem with the freezing unless you leave any wet salt in your spreader or in a small pile on the truck. It does unfortunately happen with any treated salt and is prevented by not spraying a wet pile of salt. Lets get out there and prevent wet salt. lol

7. mtfd774

mtfd774 Member
    from conn

Thanks guys i appreciate the help

8. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

So what do you guys do when your salt pile freezes. This will be my first year using salt?? I want to do everything I can to prevet it. Other than keeping a pile covered, what else can you do to prevent freeze up??

9. little pat

little pat Member

If the salt is not wet it won't freeze. We keep ours in an unheated building. If you cover a pile with a tarp condensation will form and the upper layer will freeze. The problem we had last year with freezing was only due to the load delivered to us was wet.

10. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

Ok this may sound silly but how do you know if the pile is too wet. I ask this because I got my first order of magic the other day. It seemed really wet to me. I can't imagine that it would actually be dry, would it??? Is there a certain way it should look???

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you mean the salt looks wet from the Magic -0 treatment, don't worry about it. Any excess Magic -0 will just drain to the bottom of whatever it's in. If you got a bulk load of Magic Salt, it was probably treated several days ago and the excess has already drained off.

When you hold it in your hand, does your hand get wet? If it does, some Magic -0 will run off. It should already have been "turned" before you got it, but you could still catch it and put it over the pile again or use the runoff to mix with rock salt and make your own Magic Salt.

No, it won't be "dry". If it is, send it back - you got gypped.:rolleyes: Seriously, smell it. If it smells like molasses, it's good.

12. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

thanks MIC, from what you said it sounds like I got a good batch. Thats a good Idea about catching the run off. I will have to do that.

thanks again