1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic-salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by slplow, Oct 25, 2003.

1. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

My local distributor want's $28. per ton for spraying my salt. I will be the one turnig the pile . Do you think this is high?

2. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow Senior Member

Sounds about right to me!

Well worth every penny!

3. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I guess thats ok, buy you could buy a drum and do it yourself cheaper.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd say that's about right. As far as mixing it in a drum, you want to mix it in something else and let the excess drain off before putting it in a drum. Excess Magic or other brand will settle to the bottom. Your salt on the bottom will then be VERY wet/soaked.

As an illustration, I mix mine by hand. I first mix in a wheelbarrow, let it settle and then put it in a drum (30 and 55 gallon). I just went out today and found that one drum had an exces three gallons settled to the bottom. The next drum had an excess one gallon. That was after mixing and letting it settle (sufficiently, I thought). Next year, I plan on building a big box-like contraption to mix it in and direct the excess to a containment barrel.

5. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Bob St Jacques said about $2.00 Per Gallon pumped into your tanks.

Jay

6. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Mick

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear on my post. I was just suggesting that he could buy a 55 gal drum of the liquid. As to storing the mixture, I was thinking of bagging it and storing on pallets. The rest I am gonna put in a pile on the floor and the excess liqud can go toward the drain. It is not supposed to corode concrete so.......I hope it works.

As far as mixing it:
    You could dump some salt in the bottom of a v-box with a Bobcat or shovel, then spray it. If you take the spinner off, you could turn the spreader on and have the mix come out of the back. It will fall right into a bag. Just make a bag frame to hold the bag. Then seal the bags and you will have bagged magic, for really cheap.
    I was also thinking a portable cement mixer would do well.

They sell the bags and the sealers at www.uline.com

I hope this helps someone. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure this out.

7. Mick

from Maine

micah79, thanks for the clarification. You're right - spraying your own pile is definately a good option. I've been looking for a cement mixer, too. I like your idea with the Vbox, I think I'm going to try that. My Fisher has an offset spinner, so all I have to do is open the deflector and it'll come out of the box bypassing the spinner.

8. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I originally thought I could buy it by the barrel (or have them put it in a barrel) but is not listed that way in price list. I would prefer to spray it myself and save some $$$$. But what I think is, since he is the only distributor in our area (that I know of) he has divs in the market and how he wants to sell this product.

I still want to pursue this avenue so any advice or info would be appreciated. Thanks

9. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

As I stated above. St Jaques Enterprises in Windsor CT will load Magic into your barrels or tanks at Approximately $2.00 per gallon.

Hes got a pump setup and says all you have to do is bring the tank or drums you want to fill and he will fill them up.

Jay

10. Mick

from Maine

slplow, why not just ask him if he'll sell it to you by the gallon or sell a 55 gallon barrel?

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Contact INTL salt an ask for coated salt. We pay 65.00 per ton delivered. The salt co's wont tell you they have it so ask for it. Alot more cost effective than buying salt and having the pile sprayed. My guess is that it will come from Boston, Providence,or maybe even Portland Maine.
    Dino

12. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

How many tons?

That price is about the going rate...
    Before you try the drum, mixer, etc route, how much salt do you get at a time? 25 tons or so would be difficult to do by hand, to say the least. And your time is worth something. It takes a distributor about 40 minutes to spray a 25 ton pile with one guy spraying and one guy running the loader/skidsteer at your pile. Do the math on how long it would take to do that with a mixer....it's worth the money to get you piles sprayed. Then they are ready to go!

13. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

you could always use a cement truck if you have one or know someone with one. most can hold 11-12 yards of concrete.... just a thought