1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic salt with Salt Dogg 1500

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by tuney443, Dec 13, 2009.

1. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I did some searches but couldn't find this.Can anybody with either the 1500 or 2000 Salt Dogg that uses Magic salt tell me what you're setting your baffles at or are you taking them off altogether.My first yard last week spreading was disappointing,no matter what speeds I set on the auger and spinner with the vibrator on would only broadcast my truck width.I haven't touched the factory setting which Buyers is saying they have it set for dry bagged salt.
  2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Is this dry bulk salt that has been treated, or bags ? Or wet bulk that has been treated ?

Try a couple bags of dry plan rock salt. Last night on ice with dry rock salt I had no problem with 35' out drivers side. Thats 8-9 on the spinner and about 7 on the auger. If your not getting distance with dry bagged theres a problem.

When I use wet bulk untreated my pattern drops off, but not down to 8'. I would guess I get 15' min. to the drivers side with wet crap. Thats dripping wet bulk.

How open are your baffles ? I think I have 4" at the back and about 3" at the front. The guys who run sand/salt usually pull there baffles. I tried opening my baffles with the old auger trans and it didnt work well. Lots of jambs. Have not tried it with the new auger motor/trans.
  3. tuney443

I only run bulk Magic salt,I wouldn't even think of the hassle and higher cost of using multiple bags of Magic to fill a 1.5 yd. hopper.It was not dripping wet,I would say actually it was the best treated Magic I've seen in awhile.Like I said,I haven't touched the factory setting on those baffles.This is a bran new 2009 model. Thanks.
  4. tuney443

5. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I have the SHPE 2 yard and run very wet bulk magic. I am a ...ehhh on my spreading distance as its only about 15' or so. Dry material I can do much better with. but wet magic is about 15' with little bounce. I run my auger from 4-6 and spinner at 7-10 Mostly ten unless its a driveway in which case its 5.

Dont get me wrong I love the spreader and would buy another, just would like to throw 40' even if i have wet material (or treated material)