1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic salt who uses this?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sixty4, Dec 21, 2009.

1. sixty4

sixty4 Member
    from CT

Looking for feedback on those that have used it. Sorry if its been hashed out already but could not find it, Thanks!
  2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I've used it for about 7 years now.Fantastic stuff.This year with my new poly salter and SRW truck,I'll be using it exclusively.
  3. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

will work well as long as you have a sander it will go through
  4. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

IMO...too expensive...never used it first hand due to the cost of it.
  5. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

use it once and you'll wonder how you lived without it
  6. jmc

jmc Junior Member

I heard this was banned in CT due to alge bloom from nitrogen content of run off. Maybe just DOT. Ever heard that? I've also been told that it brings deer to the road due to molasass content.

A local plow dealer is now selling this product. We will be testing liquid and bagged magic salt product this weekend, along side 2 other bagged products on sidewalks during the expected snow ice event dec 25-26th. Let you know how it works out.
  7. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

its definitely not banned in CT. been using it for years. more and more people are starting to realize the benefits of this product.

the deer thing is probably a myth, around here you wouldn't even notice with all the deer we have anyways. we have an estimated 60+ deer per sq mile.

Don't bother with the liquids if its going to rain this weekend, just use the granular. the liquid will just become too diluted to work if its rained on first. been there done that.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  8. jmc

jmc Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I'll wait and see what comes down friday.
    Our salt supplier gave me that info and may have been trying to steer me away from magic when I asked about it. He sells "clear lane" product which is green- I believe calcium chloride treated salt. We did get 25 tons to try, but are waiting for temps in single digits to try it.
  9. sixty4

sixty4 Member
    from CT

Thanks all! Going to give it a shot, I have a condo complex that has a ton of walkways, I had to go back and rehit some walkways (not unusual). Have a local distributor not to far away so after last weeks snow. Sounds like 12 bucks a bag is probably not a bad investment if it works out.....
  10. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Worth Every penny.......especially when it gets real cold. That is when you see the difference in all the products. Been there done that 6 years ago! Yes it is a little more expensive but worth it in my book.

Just remember DON'T spread it like Sand. It doesn't take much to work effectively.
  11. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

The deer are attracted to Magic salt. Start shooting some of those deer. Got 20#s of summer sausage in the oven right now :drinkup:
  12. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

we hit'em with cars instead around here!
  13. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

a guy i work with hunts down your way and says the same thing...there all over the place

but he also said there quite a bit smaller then the deer up here because theres not enough food for all of them
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

226 threads with Magic in them. :rolleyes:

Search is your friend.
  15. kj330

kj330 Member

Deffinetly not band in CT concidering most towns around me use it. They stopped sanding all together...
  16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Must be the OP is busy reading those elusive threads. ;):cool:
  17. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

they are a little runty but we do have a few big ones around.
  18. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

My experience with magic is one that I wish I could forget. sorry it is so long.

After hearing about all the great benefits we decided to pre-treat our salt and to use liquid on a few of our roadway jobs. We go through about 1500 tons a winter and with pretreating they said I could shave 30% off of our salt usage. So, We bought a 6400 gallon tank and a 300 gallon sprayer and ordered a truckload. Treating the 1st 200 tons we had delivered went well until the temperature hit less than 10*. My intentions were to additionally spray liquid as I loaded our 30 trucks on these cold night so we could 'as they said' "burn the snow away even in single digits". Even after being assured that it would work great, it resulted in 30 guys with salt bricks in their spreaders 2 hours later when they were starting to salt.

Then on a Lot in -5* weather the liquid sprayer boom was frozen with straight liquid. So within the first month I had had 2 things happen that were unheard of with magic according to our salesman. and, he'd see what he could do. They wanted to test our liquid so we sent it in beginning of january 09. mid february comes and the testing still isnt conclusive, but then in the beginning of march they finally have a response. the shipment was contaminated and since we used a bunch of it to treat our salt they couldn't do a full refund. Well what he said was that we could get half our money back or get a new tanker? Why on earth would I want more of a product that is ******* me over? Especially now that the winter is over what good will a tanker do me? So we say we'll take our money. Still to this day I haven't received it all and they are paying very slow. and we are so freaking pissed it. is ridiculous.

I have a 6400 gallon tank and a 300 gallon sprayer for sale in chicago if anyone is interested.
  19. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I am using strictly magic salt this season. I have only had three salt runs but so far i have been pleased. We've had some nights in the low teens and the salt hasn't frozen up. We might have a freezing rain even tonight so that should be another test.
  20. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I am going out this afternoon to Pretreat. I really don't want to do it at 9pm or Early in the morning.