1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic Salt Users

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ndnchief, Feb 4, 2013.

1. ndnchief

ndnchief Member

I have thought about using Magic Salt only lately...I stock bag salt and a ice melt what I call sidewalk salt and calcium chloride bags and I use bulk salt and bulk Magic Salt after adding up the dollars spent and the time to obtain these different materials and store them and the time it takes to track each material I am wondering if I only offered Magic Salt which could be used on the lots and sidewalks as well, colder or warmer temps and I would only have to charge one price instead of multiple prices depending on what I use.
    My question is for those of you that use only Magic Salt have you found that you are giving a better service and does only stocking one product make as big as difference to you that I see.it to be. As I am getting older I am trying to make things as less difficult as possible Still making a profit at the same level as I am now but with less complications..A small price increase but providing a better service
    If you are strictly a Magic Salt user I would appreciate any feed back

2. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Magic salt is on an entirely different level than straight salt. You cannot compare the two, lol, well I guess you can compare differences.... i find it very easy to deal with, clients love that it is endorsed by the EPA, and the corrosive neutralizers are less harsh on the equipment. I use it exclusively, and I have had zero complaints.

The one thing I have noticed however, is that the saturation level of the "magic" can vary greatly between distributors. The gentleman I purchased a piece of equipment from this weekend had an obviously significantly less ratio of "magic" to salt than the product I buy. His salt had a minor brown tint to it, where mine is dark brown, and is easily mistaken for sand.

The residual effects of Magic Salt alone are worth the added costs. Not to mention if you keep it protected, it NEVER clumps up, and remains granular throughout any temp range. I would never go back to straight salt for any reason.

Only issue I've had is that when it dries on your gloves and clothing in the truck cab with the heat blaring, it smells like a collection of dirty gym socks

3. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I switched from sand/salt to magic 3 year ago. Best decision I made. I have also stopped using bagged icemelt in favor of magic. I fill up 5gal home depot buckets with lids. The bulk magic doesn't go through the walk behind spreader so we broadcast by hand now. I wear heavy rubber gloves and I'm good to go.

4. ducaticorse

from we

+1............... **** sucks to get on your hands....

5. ndnchief

ndnchief Member

Thanks the info I was hoping to hear

6. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

Is Magic Salt comparable to ClearLane?

Where does one find a bulk supplier?

7. ducaticorse

from we

Basically yes, the same idea, although I don't think the active ingredient is the same.

You can do it two ways. Buy 55 gallon drums and mix it into your own bulk, or look around in your area and find a supplier that does it for you. In your case seeing as you like to do this type of stuff, I would mix it myself so you can ensure a good concentration.

8. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

Yeah, I contemplated it.

But, as long as I get an order in before their train cars come, I can get whatever I need in the summer from the stockpile 30 miles from me. Think I'll just wait till next season to get it going.

9. SLCC2004

SLCC2004 Junior Member

if you have used magic salt you sould try and use the magic liquide O same product but without the salt, no clean up, works to neg 36 degrease. ifound the product after getting several over wait tickets for being over loaded. the liquide lasts longer spreads ferther and also easer to handle. i have switch alot of cutomers over to this product and switched alot of snow and ice companys in the area to this great product.