1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic salt too wet

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by emeraldgreen, Jan 20, 2005.

1. emeraldgreen

emeraldgreen Member

Since this is my first time using Magic Salt, I don't know if my experience is normal. When I dumped my bags into the tailgate spreader, I noticed the salt was very wet, and got concerned. As I suspected, it wouldn't flow through my spreader. Is this a common issue with bagged Magic Salt, or are my bags out of the ordinary?
    I am now mixing it 1:1 with regular Rock Salt, and it flows just fine.
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bob

2. chris k

chris k Senior Member

First what type of spreader are you using? Second, when you purchased the Magic were thae bags indoors or out in the open?

3. emeraldgreen

emeraldgreen Member

I'm using a Lesco 600lb capacity spreader, with an auger but no vibrator. The salt was stored under a roof, but not completely enclosed in front.

4. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

i have the same problem and all that is needed is a vibrator kit, it is because of the poly spreader, my magic dealer said i would most likely need one, but said if i were to use a steel vbox that it would run fine. i mix 2-50 lbs bags of magic and 1-80 lbs bag of rock salt and it doesn't clog up.

5. chris k

chris k Senior Member

The only time I have had a problem with Magic freezing up is if the product gets wet in the bag like through a small hole or something. Also if it sit in the spreader after a strom and it get real cold. I also use the bareground and have the same thing happen.
    I can tell you that if the product comes out of the bag wet I have no problem spreading either one. The only problem I have is the occasional frozen bag or a little left in the spreader that freezes.
    Is the lesco a single stage or 2 stage. Mine is a 2 stage so maybe that's the difference.

6. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

Call bob at karrier he's got a sponsor label on top af the page and is a very exceptional fellow that will take time to talk with you, I had the same problem with a single stage tailgate spreader and when I installed a vibrator on it took care of all the problems, matter of fact made all products flow and spread more evenly for me. Not hard to hook uop vibrator kit either, best money I spent. And 1 more tip put a screen in the top of you spreader, helps keep any large junks from falling in, you dont want to dig thru 400 - 500 lbs of salt to unclog, and also I run bulk magic salt thru my spreader way much cheaper than bagged and it is really wet.

7. emeraldgreen

emeraldgreen Member

Thanks for the input everyone.
    Home Rescue,
    Can the vibrator kit be wired into the spreader spinner, to start at the same time? I wonder if it would put too much draw on the circuit fuse.
    And have you had a problem with the vibration action causing wear on the hopper?

Thanks Again

8. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

Probably would cause to much draw on amps. I know that my pulley on my auger shaft was spinning into the plastic motor cover and I began asking questions here and found out that any resistance or drain on the motor would cause a drain on current and kick the breaker on the spinner controller, besides what if you spread some dry material and don't need the vibrator. What I did was mount the on/off switch for the vibrator right on to the spreader control box so that everything is in fingertip reach. Hope this helps.

9. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Your Magic Salt is fine. The liquid is what makes it special and it will keep stuff from corroding.

Run a seperate power feed and switch to the vibrator. You will be astonished with how much better it works.