1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic Salt/ Tailgate spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by abclawns, Oct 30, 2008.

1. abclawns

abclawns Member

Ive been doing alot of reading on Magic Salt in here. I have a question Im doing a realitvly small parking lot less than 20,000 sq ft. How much magic salt will this require and could I get away with just a tailgate spreader. Thank you in advance.

Brett

2. ALLABOUTSNOW

ALLABOUTSNOW Member

yes.... If you do the basic math on untreated rock salt is that approx 17 pounds of salt per 1000 square foot... soooo you would be using around 340 lbs for you 20000 sq ft parking lot and if you use majic treated salt according to big John Parker he says you will use a 1/3rd less so that would put you at under or around to be safe 300 lbs.... math comes out around 200 but I dont think it will cove and it is midnite here and that makes it to late to do math... good luck

3. abclawns

abclawns Member

Thank you that was the formula I was looking for.

4. emeraldgreen

emeraldgreen Member

Not sure of what others have encountered but, my first year I used bagged Magic salt in a tailgate spreader with some problems. It would only flow down thru the center and would hold tight around the edges. I ended up mixing with rock salt and it flowed fine.
    I would suggest you use a spreader w/vibrator kit for easier use.
    Good luck.
    Bob

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

your standard tailgate spreader is a single stage and requires free flowing dry material only. add a vibrator for better results if using this type of spreader.

it is not uncommon to salt 1 ton per acre of parking lot, this puts the numbers previously mentioned a tad low. real world numbers vary due to humidity levels/temperature/size of deicing material. plus since your providing the deicing service your responsible for slip and falls thus a tendancy to lay it heavy.

so my point is if your using the numbers given allaboutsnow to pre order your salt, fudge it up so you don't run short.

6. ALLABOUTSNOW

ALLABOUTSNOW Member

I agree with it being low if you do the math ... 17 pound per 1000 seems to be what alot of people use on here but on a 20k size parking lot if you know what you are doing you should be able to salt thta with 6 50 lb bags for a normal post snow application.

7. abclawns

abclawns Member

Thank you guys for the great insight