1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic Salt tailgate spreader salt dogg

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by tlrlc, Jan 4, 2009.

1. tlrlc

tlrlc Member

I have plowed for years but am new to salting...I spread bagged magic salt and need a tailgate spreader. i just recieved the salt dogg tgs06 but it looks like there is no way to control it from loosing material even when fully closed. I have not hooked it up so i could sell it if this is not the right one.....Please help....which one should i get? or is there a fix for this poor design. HELP!

2. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Try posting a picture.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  3. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Try a snow-ex 1875..............

sp1875.jpg

4. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

If the problem is that your flow gate will not close completely - it is defective. Contact your dealer.

If the problem is that you feel like you can't get it to stop flowing (but you can shut it off) try opening it less. These were tested with a wide variety of materials (small calcium chloride pellets to #1 rock salt). The flowgate typically does not need to be open more than 30%. It should bridge on the spinner in seconds once the spinner is turned off.

Scott Moorman
    BPC - Director of Engineering

5. tlrlc

tlrlc Member

i havn't even wired it up yet i just looked at it and put 5lbs of magic salt in it. when fully closed it just went through...this would tell me that whatever is in the hopper between jobs will flow out along the way. NO? That would lead me to believe i will waste more than i use..right.!?

6. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

If this is the case - your flowgate is defective and must be replaced. This is not how it should behave (obviously). Please contact your dealer to arrange for a replacement flowgate.

Scott Moorman
    BPC / SnowDogg / SaltDogg