1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic Salt Storage?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by knpc, Nov 16, 2014.

1. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

Hi, I have a question about Magic Salt (Ice-B-Gone).
    I go through about 75-100 50lb bags of ice melt per season as I only do 23 driveways and one commercial lot. I have been buying bags from landscape supply places and big box stores for the last ten years. I know I'm paying a premium by buying by the bag and taking away potential profit.

My thought was that this year I would just build a 4'x4'x4' box on top of a pallet to fill with bulk ice melt. I'm a carpenter, so building a box strong enough is no problem. And I have a 6'x10' dump trailer, so I could put the crate in there, have them fill it at the yard, and slide it out into my building.

This would wind up costing me about $3.50 per 50lbs. instead of $14.00 per 50lbs. for Ice-B-Gone.

My Question is, will it sore well in an enclosed building for the season? I've never used magic salt so I wasn't sure if the coating on the salt lasts and is effective after storing it for 3-4 months. I'll probably only have to refill the crate once during the season.

Thank You

2. SaratogaSnowPro

SaratogaSnowPro Junior Member

Why don't you ask the Ice B Gone Magic dealer you purchased it from? I am sure they could walk you thru the best ways to set it up... www.ibgmagic.com

3. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

I haven't purchased it yet, I thought I would run it by the guys on here to see what your thoughts are. I didn't ask when I was on the phone with him, but I'll call the Magic Salt dealer I spoke with the other day and ask about storage.
    I'd like to hear the thoughts of the guys on here as well though.

4. SaratogaSnowPro

SaratogaSnowPro Junior Member

Just store it in 5 gallon buckets and bring out what you need for a storm..

5. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

Thanks for your input.
    Yes, but then I would need at least 50-60 5 gal buckets depending on how much bulk I get. I should be able to put at least a ton in the bin, probably 2,500 lbs. I guess I was hoping to have a ice melt bin and just fill up my buckets that I take with me before each storm. I usually take 5-8 buckets with me per storm depending on the storm.

When I build the bin, I could leave it as is with just a wood box. Or I could lay a tarp in the bin and then have it filled to keep it wrapped if that would prolong the life of the magic salt if necessary. Just thought there must be other guys on here that store large quantities of magic salt that may have some info

6. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Last year I ran bulk in my tailgate spreader and hauled the salt in totes. I cut the top off and made it into a lid. I have 5 toes that we used last winter. We would take a few at a time in our dump trailer and then unload and store them in the barn. I just forked a new one in before each storm. Never had a problem. Our barn is not heated but it is nice and dry. We actually had 3 full totes we kept over the summer. I put a piece of plastic right on top of the salt, closed the lid, put another piece of plastic over the totes and shrink wrapped them. They sat out side all summer and the salt kept just fine no issues at all ! If you can keep the salt dry you will have no problems .

7. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping Senior Member

Yes as long as it's dry

8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Just a side question,I store my salt in my shop,(20-30tons) will magic salt stink up the whole shop? I cover with a tarp and don't think that will help out much.

9. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

I would be more worried about the salt eating away at anything metal in the area....

10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Been storing indoors for years here,no impact or issue at all,have my plows and equip next to 12 tons left over from last season.Just wondering about smell?

11. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping Senior Member

it probably would. Magic doesn't smell that great

12. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

You will notice the trademark order. More so if you work right next to it or touch it with gloves/bare hands.

I treat my bulk as I go. But I have a friend with a yard that is now on its 3rd year. Salt is dry, brown crystals. According to the supplier that's how it's supposed to look. His is stored in large 35 gallon garbage cans.

13. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

My plan worked out pretty well. I built a 4'x4'x4' box on top of a pallet. I put it in my dump trailer, brought it to the yard and they dumped 3,000 lbs.of Ice-B-Gone into the crate. Brought it back to the shop, pushed a button to lift the trailer, the crate slid out with some persuasion, pushed it into place and done!

This should save me a lot of money over buying bagged ice melt. And I should be able to reuse the crate year after year. Wish I had done this sooner, been chasing bagged material every season for 15 yrs.

14. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Definitely wanna see some pics!! So that box was 1.5 yards??

15. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

Yes, the box just under 4'x4'x4'. So about 1.5 yds. It was 3,000 lbs when I pulled onto the scales after loading up.

20141215_102522_resized_2.jpg

20141215_102548_resized_1.jpg

20141215_102529_resized_1.jpg

16. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Smart! If I ever get covered/inside storage I'm stealing this idea.