1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

magic salt pricing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rock18201, Nov 22, 2010.

1. rock18201

rock18201 Member
    from NEPA

I have got a great price on Clear lane and have used it in the past loved the results in cold temps. I can get Magic salt closer but price is a lot higher. What are you paying on average for Magic salt picked up.

2. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I just talked a guy today who sells this stuff. He wants $150 a ton - i get it. He wants $5.50 / gallon for liquid and I need to get that as well.

I like the results, I like the enviroment friendly thing but the cost seems high to me. In the past I have only did a sand/salt mixture which was effective but salt is corrsive, sand is temparary at best but sand is cheap!

3. rock18201

rock18201 Member
    from NEPA

I agree it better do alot for that price i got quoted $120/ton i can get the clear lane for $90/ton picked up i think i will just stay with the clean lane and save on the green

4. dlocke

dlocke Junior Member

What part of the country are you guys in

5. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

iowa. I called magic salt and they told to be a dealer they paid for the territory rights??

6. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Magic in this area of ny is around 150 per ton. Great Product though

7. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Really huh? I've often wanted to get a small trailer load to try it out. But JD Dave says white rock is the only way to go?!? But then again, hes been using that for the past 40 years...;)

Might try it out sometime....probly has the same effect as Clearlane tho.

8. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

I've only used Magic a couple times and have been happy with the results. In NH its $130 yd picked up or $119 for a trailer load. I'm looking for some one in southern NH that has ClearLane so I can try it out.

9. Bigsnowny

Bigsnowny Member

Hey Creative, I am a Magic Salt Dealer in Northern New York. If your interested in trying Magic Salt I'm about 1 hour away from Ottawa. Bulk: $135.00 a ton - Liquid: $2.70 a gallon. Also sell by the pail or bag for your customers to use.

10. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

$130-$140 a yd. in Dutchess County,NY

11. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Wow. $200 a ton for Magic Salt around here. $125 for straight rock salt.

12. rock18201

rock18201 Member
    from NEPA

so by explaining to your customers you are using magic salt they agree, and you and they can justify the higher amount for the salting application? how can you compete with anyone using bulk for half the price i just dont see the logic from a contractor side or a consumer side.

13. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

Hey guys whats clear lane and magic salt? I've only used rock salt,off spec softner salt, pella-dow,and dow flake. And where can you get any of this in bulk?

14. tuney443

It's very simple---you only need app. half the amount of Magic compared to straight salt and it's a far superior product.

15. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I looked into becoming a Magic Salt dealer a few years back, I called them up and I was told that they didn't want dealers in Minnesota because it would cost them to much money to ship the product here. About three months later there was a lawn service less then 10 miles from me that became a dealer, I called Macic Salt and asked them them about it. I didn't get an answer, just some bullsh!t line about something or other.

16. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I tried a load of magic and hated it. I would never run the stuff again. I did some test runs on a 12 acre parking lot. I used magic on one half and straight salt on the other. I used around 250 lbs of straight and 750 lbs of magic to get the same results. I also had some other plow companys run the magic salt that I bought and they said never again too. So for half the price and better results I will keep running straight salt. I was also very frustrated with the dealer I had, it took over two months to get a load.

17. Juice Induced

Juice Induced Member

GEOMELT® 55 Treated Salt $125.00 Per Ton

GEOMELT® 55 treated salt works much better than Caliber M-1000 treated salt and even Magic Salt. They tell me that when it comes to organic de-icers, performance boils down to carbohydrate content and solids content. GEOMELT® 55 contains much higher carbohydrate and solids content than any other organic de-icer. This study is one example of how much better it performs. View attachment 2005 Michigan Tech De-icer Study.pdf GEOMELT 55 treated salt can be purchased in Northeast Indiana for about $125.00 per ton. You'll have to Google GEOMELT Indiana.

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm assuming this would be unbiased information and you don't work for the company.:rolleyes: If it's not extremely cold it's hard to beat plain old rock salt. JMO

19. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

I agree 100% JD . Ive tried the beet juice mixed with salt and saw an advantage at temps. below 20* but i can get the same results with calcium chloride prewet at those temps. at a lot lower cost.

20. tuney443

Sorry you had bad results with it but I suspect your salt most likely wasn't either sprayed with enough Magic juice or maybe an already diluted product.I've been using it for years here by me in NY and I will only say all good things about it.Whether it's above or below 20*,all my lots are deiced and dry within a couple of hours.For what it's worth, some friends of mine have tried the Geo,they say it's good but Magic works better.To each his own.