1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic salt Pos. neg.???? who uses

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by andrewlawnrangr, Jan 16, 2009.

1. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

im looking in to using magic for my pre treat of walkway and entrances of parking lots. who uses and what do u think? any ideas? Applications? how do u apply? pump sprayer, bulk tank. use caliper or liquid "O"?? just looking for ideas?

thanks all

2. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I personally use it, On a lot I have that we use about one ton per storm on I wasn't able to get magic salt and we ended up using 3 tons to get the same results. It may have been the temps the snow, many different factors. But for me its smart money spent to use it. And I personally joke often about it being magic due to the fact it melts snow. On walkways I know I wont be able to tend to for a while ill put it down pretty heavy and after 2-3" of a slow light snow there no need to tend to those walkways.

3. andrewlawnrangr

i was thinking of the all liquid side.. there are 2 virsions the magic o and caliper. the Caliper is more expensive but is a clear liquid

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Great product but can't justify the price. I'd use liquid calcium or brine if you are going to go with liquid. JMO

5. andrewlawnrangr

well im goin to test it out.. the dealer has 55 gal of liquid o for $215.00 and mag/cal 50 50 mix for 2.00 a gal

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The straight Magic is not feasable because of price, try the 50/50 mix but $2/gallon is still very expensive. Good luck:drinkup:

7. andrewlawnrangr

i would love to make it my self but unsure of measuring and hope to not screw it up. i want to use the 50/50 mix but what would my application rate be per 1000 square is there any way to still use magic but " thin" it out by adding mag or calcium ( from a bag solid form) and mix it in with a pump??

just trying to see what the ideas are. ive been doin alot of reading on here and trying to get into the liquid game. thanks JD

8. D.A.S.

D.A.S. Junior Member

magic liquid works great when mixed w/salt, 2-3 gallons per ton for doing roads, but for sidewalks i would rather use baged material such as mag or calcium chloride or a good mixture with no salt.i do at least one and a half miles of sidewalks

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I make my own and have been for about eight years. Works great. Today I used it to put under the tires when I got stuck. Got the snow from under the frame but by that time, I'd dug holes in the snow and it had turned to ice. Put a little in front and behind all four tires. Rocked forward and spun a little to get the stuff under the tires. Then backed right out.