1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic salt or clearlane

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mtstclair, Nov 8, 2011.

1. mtstclair

mtstclair Member
    from indiana

Which is better clearlane or magic salt Magic is $15 more a ton Which one spreads better in push spreader? Which one freezes up less in the spreader? Thanks in advance

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have never had clearlane freeze in the aluminum dump insert spreader. Ive never used magic, but I am happy with Clearlane.

3. mtstclair

mtstclair Member
    from indiana

So is magic worth $15 more a ton?

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

imo i would say no. We had 4 ice storms last year and clearlane did great on my lots.

5. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Absolutely. Even though I've never used it other than bagged and I think it is overpriced.

The only thing Clearlane will do is lower effective temps and work faster, but it won't reduce usage.

6. mcneills

mcneills Junior Member

what is clearlane

7. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I think the brown sugar might have a little bit of an edge, but for the money, we use clearlane almost exclusively. Thumbs Up

Treated salt. It's treated with mag chloride, a corrosion inhibitor, and green dye.

8. mcneills

mcneills Junior Member

ya i never heard of it before, im from london ont and we have treated salt, but i think they use a different chemical, up here they charge about 15-20 dollars extra a tonne, its supposed to work longer and colder, i see this clearline is a cargill product

9. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Do you wanna look 'green' or look like you 'pooped' all over the property? I'd say green, and it's cheaper.

10. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Once it's down you can't tell it's brown.

Cheaper in price or cost?

11. Juice Induced

Juice Induced Member

mtstclair,

Let me start out by saying that MagicSalt and Clearlane are both very good products. Almost everyone that I have talk to, who have used these products, has appreciated the added performance benefits.

According to the ice melt capacity testing that we have conducted on both of these products, the ice melting performance of each deicer is nearly identical at 25°F, 15°, and 0°, with Magic having a very slight edge. I believe that it's the organic that Magic uses that gives it the very slight edge.

One thing to keep in mind about buying treated salt products is the fact that you are paying a premium for the higher performance and you’re getting about 50lbs to 80lbs less salt with every ton that you buy.

Both of these deicers contain magnesium chloride, which weighs more than 10lbs per gallon. No one knows exactly how many gallons of magnesium chloride is added to each of these products, but bid specifications have stated as high as 7.5 gallons per ton for Clearlane.

If you check out, “Introduction to BEET HEET”, and read the provided material, you’ll see that you can treat your own salt for less than $7.00 per ton, and have a finished product that you will perform better than anything that you have ever used, and you’ll also have a whole ton of salt, not 1,940lbs of salt.

Denver

12. mtstclair

mtstclair Member
    from indiana

thanks for all the info guys gone get some clearlane first of next week and go from there.

13. iceman1

iceman1 Sponsor

call me I will get you a greaty price out of indy. 513-678-1597