1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MAGIC salt load

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by smokin4by, Feb 5, 2010.

1. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

just got my first load of magic salt this morning. i had to try it out for myself to see what its worth. it costs some big bucks but i figure this is the perfect storm to see what it does. if it really does take less salt to do the same job........we will see:redbounce

just a tip too, DO NOT toss the bags!! they split the sides waaaaaaay too easy. :nono:
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I think you'll be impressed............
  3. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 Member
    from KY

What is the cost roughly per ton??? I have been debating on it.
  4. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

we hated the support they gave us when we got a contaminated load. Our load of liquid froze up and caused us massive headaches. It is over one year later and they still have yet to fully reimburse us. buyer beware!! if it sounds too good to be true, it definitely is.
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

don't let one bad apple ruin the rest of the pie... been using magic for years with great results. **** happens, move on.
  6. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

yeah me too......or per bag or whatever
  7. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

we bought a skid for $12 a bag. just about 3x as much as our bagged rock salt. we also did not price it around. our supplier had it and i wanted to try it.

we did have good results from it. our walks we pretreated with it are DRY now in less than 8 hrs after the event stopped. when they were shoveled off they were clean and wet. NO SCRAPING !! it saved a ton of time on the walks. now we have to figure out the cost/time saved.payup

as a side note we also did my son's science fair experiment with it. we took 3, 4'x4' test spot on our concrete lot. one we used morton rock salt, one we used magic salt, and one was the "ice melt" from wal-mart. once it started snowing we took pics of them to see which one worked the best at keep the snow from accumulating. we also spaced them so there was no bleeding.

3rd...wally's ice melt. 1/2" of snow fall covered it up
    2nd...morton rock salt 2" of snow fall before it started to cover up
    1st...magic salt 2" of snow just made a little slush that still had an orange tint to it

not rocket science but works for me. I did have a ton of customers notice the "NEW" kind of salt. they love the colorxysport
  8. NW Snow Removal

been trying to move on for a year, but they still have terrible dealer support.
  9. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Started using magic salt only on my lots and so far im very pleased with the results. Ill give a better opinion at the end of the season when i can compare it to other products ive tried but its safe to say ill be using magic from here on out. I only get it in bulk or treat my own pile with magic-o, the bagged is too expensive for me.
  10. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

12 bucks a bag, it better drive to the customer and spread it's self.
  11. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I've been using Magic for years. I can't speak more highly of it.I only get it in bulk but for you guys who get bagged--just an idea that 1 of the 3 places I get my Magic does for you guys.They have 5 gallon buckets of Magic that they sell for $15, but when you come back to refill it,the price is now $10.Maybe you can ask your dealers if they can do the same.
  12. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Where in IN did you buy it? I see on here where many talk about buying it by the skid or bulk, does the dealers make you buy a minimum on the bag salt (magic)? What is the bags in lbs?
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  13. NW Snow Removal

Do any of your customers complain about the "soy sauce smell" of Magic Salt? After our first time using it we must have received about 6 phone calls...one of which was the manager of a large office complex wanting to know who "sh*t all over" his lot this morning? Any deviation from granular rock salt and people seem to freak out.

Glad to hear it works for some people but the only thing magical about that whole experience is that we managed not to get sued for any slip and falls.
  14. dlocke

dlocke Junior Member

There is a dealer south of Indy, no minimum, 50lb bags.
  15. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

How much are they per bag?
  16. dlocke

dlocke Junior Member

11.75 per bag by the pallet and 15.00 per bag individually
  17. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

How many comes on a pallet
  18. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I have no idea what you have there but our Magic smells sweet like molasses,it smells great.Soy sauce smell huh? That must be the Chinese knockoff version you got.:D
  19. dlocke

dlocke Junior Member

49 on A pallet
  20. When I stick my head in a pile of Magic and smell it, it reminds me of a box of dunkin hines brownie mix!!!!!!! The liquid smells like soy sauce. But you can't smell it on the treated salt when applied.....