1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic Salt, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Dieselman19, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

Im considering switching from regular bulk salt to magic salt, is there any disadvantages, besides the extra costs?

Thanks
    Bob

2. little pat

little pat Member

I've had it freeze solid in the hopper while out plowing. Even stored in a garage it froze and in buckets used to transport it for use on sidewalks, all froze solid. I'd never trust it again.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've been using Magic Salt for about four years. I make my own using Magic -0 and regular rock salt or Halite. The only disadvantage that I can think of also apply to salt in general: If you let it get wet, like from staying out in the snow, it will dilute the Magic part of it and will freeze into a lump.

4. dcf

dcf Junior Member

This is my second year using Magic and I have had great sucess with it. I keep a tarp over my sander and have never had a problem.

5. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

Save the money and buy bulk salt. And then if you insist, treat the salt yourself with liquid calcium chloride or liquid mag chloride.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

???? dssxxxx - Do you know what Magic Salt is? It sounds like you're saying there is no advantage to salt treated with Magic -0. Actually, instead of "if you insist", it would be "if your customers insist". Yes, mine do.

7. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

Mick,

Yes, I know what makes up MagicSalt. If your customer insists, then so be it. But, I know of very few customers that really know what MagicSalt is comprised. Of the people that "I" know using this product, they have only complaints and have not seen any real advantage over using regualar bulk salt.

I have been in the supply and distribution of ice melting products for over 25 years and have seen my share of "pixie dust" magic ice melting compounds.

But to each their own.