1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic salt - I'm impressed!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by leigh, Feb 28, 2015.

1. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Been using straight salt and never tried treated salt. Was able to buy 5 tons at full truck load pricing so I said "Why not"? Put some down at my house and next door at my mom's on some 1-2" ice.It was popping as soon as I put it down,temp was 23 deg.So this a,m. I go and check it out,it's 0 deg and the puddles of water are not even frozen!The ice that was left wasn't slippery.I'm impressed! Thinking I might have been missing out all these years!

2. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I keep 3 or 4 ton on hand just for those situations you are talking about. I also use it on the sidewalks much cheaper buy the ton than bag stuff.

3. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Is this the same stuff as beet juice treated salt ?

Brownish/tan in color

4. leigh

from CT

Most likely,think they're all similar.

5. AG09

AG09 Senior Member

It is a brown/tan color but not the same stuff. Magic salt is treated with something else.

6. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Calcium I would guess ?

7. AG09

AG09 Senior Member

Yes that is part of it, but Im not sure of the rest. The guy told me but I forgot.

8. cowbay

cowbay Junior Member

I have been using the product for 12 years. At first I thought it was snake oil but after using it I am a convert. I figure we are using 30% less material on a application

9. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Leigh
    If I remember correct you store salt indoors? You will find that the magic salt will lose liquid over time making quite a mess on the floor. I put straight salt in front to suck up the liquid. At the end of the season I like stack it on top of the straight salt to stop the run off.

10. leigh

from CT

The load from gt is dry as a bone,I was worried about the smell but I don't even notice.I'll keep that in mind for future.If I end up mixing it as I need it maybe I can do outside and load it right into the truck.Or I'll finish my spinner spray system and just do it that way.Don't really want a flood of smelly sticky liquid leaking all over.thanx

11. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

So when you guys are talking about Magic salt, is it the same company/brand as Mr. Magic that comes in bags? Or is it a different company? Either way it sounds like they do the same job.

Michael