1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic Salt Good or bad

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by onemancrew, Dec 7, 2008.

1. onemancrew

onemancrew Member
    from NW,IA

ussmileyflag I live in northwest Iowa and thinking about becoming a dealer. How many of you guys use it and does it work like it says it does.

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I use it when it's real cold out,melts the ice much quicker than regular straight salt or my 60-40 salted sand.I would use it all the time but my clients would complain about the higher cost.I know all about using app. half the amount of Magic versus straight salt or salted sand,but it's hard for me to do this.I'm a more is better type of guy.Overall though,I think it's the cat's ass.I also love the smell.

3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

The stuff works well, the price point is usually the problem. Most contractors wont pay the price for the product. If you have guys spreading sand in your area they sure as hell wont pay you what ya need for stock pile treatment.
    Its a tuff sell for sure, especially when ya got beat juice kicking the crap out of your prices
    From what I have seen usually the dealers of this product are the biggest user's as well.
    I would not plan on recovering your investment quickly.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Second that... Do your homework before jumping.

5. SpeedyGreenInc

SpeedyGreenInc Junior Member

I think you would make 75% of your money selling the bagged salt anyways not the liquid. Pretty much everyone buys bagged salt and it shouldnt be hard to sway them towards magic.

6. onemancrew

onemancrew Member
    from NW,IA

I looked and the only dealer is about 200 miles from me. The price is a little high. That is why I thought I would ask about it. Thanks Guys.

7. T-MAN

Baged Magic around here is 3.5 -4+ times more then baged rock salt. If you use half as much (which I never seem to be able to do) your still paying way to much to see a decent profit. Most customers could care less what ya use, it is to the contractors advantage to use it in there arsenal.. Cold temps it does great, wet heavy concrete snow it has no benefit, all the mag dilutes right out. We get way to much wet heavy stuff to use it exclusively.
    Like I said it works well, but for the price not to many guys willing to throw down $500 a skid when you can get 2.5 skids of rock salt.

8. EFR Landscaping

EFR Landscaping Junior Member

I would use it all the time where I am its over $100 a ton in bulk and now salt is up to $90 now too.As for the product it works well, I always Defanitly get it if the temp . is gonna be below 18 degrees or expecting alot of ice. So basicly I use straight salt unless I feel I may need magic. I am noticing alot of guys here are using it and only it though. Sand and salt is becoming a thing of the past in my opinion. I would take the chance and sell it its the new thing... Good luck

9. T-MAN

If the price difference was only $10 dollars a ton you could sell the hell out of it. The problem is you still have the base price of a ton of salt no matter what it costs. So your always going to see $35+ more for a ton of magic.
    Your looking at close to $1000 more for each semi load.

EFR Do you know what a franchise cost's for Magic ? Its not cheap, and you really dont get alot of product to start off with. You would be lucky to recover a tenth of your investment if you only sell that amount of product the first season. The other problem is trucking to Iowa cost a couple bucks more then CT to. I have no clue what Magic is this season, last season I paid $3.75 a gallon. Im sure it went up.

If I lived in Iowa and had that kind of money to burn I would be looking at Geo Melt. Great product as well, most of the Muni's here are using it, and it is made in your backyard. No trucking from Up state New York to get it here.

10. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

I've started using it this year, and so far see zero advantage over straight salt. I'm not sure if I got a 'bad batch' of it, or what, but for the last two seasons I used bagged rock salt exclusively. I got my hands on bulk 'magic' salt for less than what I could buy bags of straight rock salt for, and got myself set up to handle bulk (store it inside, use it through a tailgate spreader w/ vibrator) and it seems to spread pretty nice. But, I have seen zero advantage to it over the salt I used to spread. I've used it anywhere from pre-treating before a freezing rain, 1 inch of fluff, packed down wet heavy snow in 30+ degrees, and this am on 1-2 inches of dry snow in 5-15 degree weather.
    I have actually seen more negatives than positives: Ships wetter, therefore you get less material in a ton (water weight), is gummy and I had to purchase a $300 vibrator to make the stuff go through my spreader, and I've had complaints about foot traffic tracking the stuff into buildings and 'muddying' up the floors. Though I like the smell of it, I dont like the smell of the inside of my truck right now, from it tracking in on my boots.
    I am trying to be very open-minded about this stuff, I've heard nothing but good from some very respected people in this business, and nothing but bad from some state DOT guys that have had bad luck with it for the very same reasons I have stated. The DOT has been using the same, or a very similar product for about 10 yrs. on limited applications.
    I am hoping that I just got a 'bad batch' of the stuff??? Any insight or suggestions are certainly welcome.

11. T-MAN

You should have seen results in the 5-15 degree weather. Magic should start working right away. Were salt "will just lay there" for some time before starting.
    You should also have better residual as well. If the storm is wet snow or sleet it is no better then straight rock salt as high water content will rinse the mag down the drain.
    Was the product treated then delivered ?

12. EFR Landscaping

When I buy it its straight salt treated already with the liquid . I dont know anything about the price of it in a liquid form or even how much you would need in liquid . But Like I said I only get it if the temperature is goning to be less than 18 Degrees other than that I too do not see much diffrence between Straight salt.

13. onemancrew

onemancrew Member
    from NW,IA

It sounds like it is good. I checked on the trucking to get it to me and the trucking is VERY BAD as in HIGH payup payup. I also looked at some companies that do salt and there is no one in 25 miles that salts. So I called them and the company said that there is some compnies that are intested in it but they are 50-250 miles from me and they would like for me to deliver it at no extra charge. I 'm not stupid I'm not going to drive say 150 miles and not get paid for my gas and time thats bad business don't you think I might be wrong. Thanks for the input.

14. dcf

dcf Junior Member

I've used it for four years with great success. If you have clumping usually that means the salt was wet when it was treated. I have run in to a few suppliers that claim they are selling Magic and it turned out they really were selling salt only treated with mag and that didn't work at all like the Magic did. The real deal is the real deal!

15. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

Thats what worries me, the treated salt seems to be really wet. I've honestly noticed zero difference between the treated and regular. This morning I used it in 5-15 degree weather, after plowing off 2-3 inches of fluff that had been driven over in a few lots. The lots next to mine are treated w/ regular salt, and at about 10am, temp up to mid 20's all lots looked the same. Mine definately didn't melt off quicker.
    Another apt. lot that was salted early this am, when checking it tonight is frozen right back over (temp tonight is 15-20. Zero residual.
    I am thinking bad treating or something. I'm banging my head.

16. dcf

dcf Junior Member

Definitely a problem with the material. You should definitely not have a refreezing problem. That for me has been one of the best benefits. I wonder if it was real Magic. Did you notice any brown runoff on the treated salt(bad) or a strong molasses odor(good)?

17. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

Definately brown runoff, but it definately smells like molasses, too. Funny, I store it at my in-laws barn, neighbor was checking it out and smelled it, didn't know it was salt thought it was cow feed.
    I know I was told it would 'bleed' if it got wet, I usually try to scoop up from the bottom to get the most of the treatment w/ the salt. Still banging my head.

18. EFR Landscaping

where Iget mine its staright salt that they treat, Isnt that what it is supposed to be? If I leave some in my sander it drips out my chute and seems to freeze up lik eif it is wet. It does smell like like molasses though..

19. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

maybe theyre watering it down with something to increase profits?

20. dcf

dcf Junior Member

The liquid wont freeze at any temperature that we will experience. We store it in tanks and have sprayed our own salt pile at 0 degrees. There wasn't any noticeable difference with spraying the liquid at that temperature other than I was miserable. If you had it freeze it must be tremendously diluted or not Magic. I use it a self storage facility and I know I use a lot less treated salt than I did sand salt and seldom have any refreeze. I'm not sure if I put down a little too much but I don't care if I don't get called back!