1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic - o wont melt snow ???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by KCAPXIS, Mar 5, 2008.

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

We picked up 265 gal of liquid Magic - O to add to our salt to help with salt freeze and to see if it is any better than plain salt...

while playing around with the liquid we sprayed a snow pile with the liquid... the next day there was no difference outer than the snow was brown..

How can this stuff melt ice when mixed and spread when it can't melt snow when put on full strength ???
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Next fresh snow you get spray some on a 1/2 inch or so of snow then see how long it takes to reaccumulate on the sprayed area. I can't answer your question but I can tell you won't wonder "if" it works if you do what I said.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Go throw some straight salt on it and see if you notice any difference the next day. :rolleyes:
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My suspicion is that it actually DID melt some snow, but you didn't "see" anything different. But, it'll be more effective (and noticable) if applied as it was intended - as a pretreatment. It'll melt more snow and ice if it melts as the stuff falls - basically melting from the "bottom up" vs "top down" since then it'll mainly run off the top. Now if you mix with salt, it'll be more effective if used on top of snow because what burns into the snow or ice will melt the salt to form a brine, which then "spreads out" breaking the bond between the snow/ice and the surface.

Yes, I've tried all this and it worked for me. First I tried it on/under ice cubes in the freezer. Then moved to the ice in front of the garage. I've used it both ways (pre- and post- treatment) on the porch steps - with and with salt. Straight Magic -0 works best on ice if the ice is cracked so it can get underneath. Didn't work nearly as well on ice pack. Good on packed snow for traction.
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Geez, Mick, you took the fun right out of it. ;)
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Fifty lashes with a wet noodle for me.:gunsfiring:
  7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

The bottom line is that it works great--been using it for years.
  8. BulldogPS

BulldogPS Member

I agree liquid magic works terrific. This is our first season using it and have found that pretreating the pavement before the storm works best. If you want to use it to melt snow, you need a boom with adjustable nozzles, then you can melt up to an 1" or more, but it uses a lot more liquid and is best used for spot treatment or heavily traveled areas. If you spray a snow pile it will melt it but it will take a long time because the snow is compacted the liquid cant get to the center or base of the pile. I've played around with my sprayer and if you use the hand sprayer and spray a snow pile heavy enough it will disapear in no time but you will have wasted precious liquid. When would you ever need to melt a pile of snow with liquid magic anyway?