1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

magic in my salt? MAKE ME A MAGICAN

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by cincy snowdog, Nov 20, 2006.

1. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

we are in cinti ohio,there are a few dif. salt co(morton,cargil,north american,and international and more ) at the river terminal ,bulk salt is about 40 bucks a ton,my q is they all say they put anticaking in there salt and morton also adds blue dye in salt to distuinguish there salt, but no magic salt from any ,what am i missing here,is it worth me buying it and treating it ourselves,we are projecting using 120-140 tons this year .
    in the past i have used liquid calcium sprayed on the salt AFTER it was in the truck but if you ever worked with it ,it will turn your salt rock hard in just few hours ,so i got away from that.
    is magic the brine from the alcohol distillerys or ?
  2. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

that exactly what magic is, it's the biproduct of making beer. we don't treat salt with it we use a sprayer. It work good and has a really low freeze point...so i think you should be fine if you treated your bulk. i'd look at this site and call them, there a local distributor in my area that is part of this franchise. http://www.groundsinc.com/magic/
  3. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

thanks for the help i am going to call in morning to see if we have distributor near.

hey i saw the hit king on your pagePETE ROSE ,i grew up about 1/2 mile from him,i was in school with Pete jr ,
    he may have bet on the reds but he is still the hit king.

GREENGOER1 Junior Member
    from NY

Magic Salt

I Have A Landscaper Who Wants To Sell Me Magic Salt. Does It Really Work?
  5. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

it works, when we would run out of the actual liquid during a storm we would use bagged magic salt in our tailgate hopper spreader and use that. i would really recommend getting a sprayer and doing a application before the storm, then you eliminate sanding all together(in most cases). we would do this and you plow right down to the surface because the magic doesn't allow the snow to adhere to the pavement.