1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

magic in bags

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cutntrim, Sep 24, 2000.

1. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

We're interested in using bagged magic coated salt in place of straight salt this year. Is there a Canadian supplier (Ontario)? John said in an earlier post that 25lb and 50lb bags are available for $8.50US. I'm assuming that's for the 25lb size. We get 80lb bags of #1 rock salt here for $5.00CDN.

Are the magic bags #1 size salt? Our tailgate spreaders won't spread anything else. I'm afraid the tackiness of the magic salt that John refers to might cause it to clump in our spreaders. What about using half-treated and half-straight salt? That should still be more effective than just plain salt.

If magic can effectively be put down before a snowfall and completely melt away up to 2" of snow that would be huge for us since we get lots of minor snowfalls around here.
  2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Magic salt goes through tailgate spreaders like stool through a goose. While each granule seems lightly tacky, the material as whole flows freely. In addition there are no lumps in it to clog a spreader. I've run both the commercially bagged stuff (4gal/ton) and stuff I did myself with 8 gal/ton. The 8 gal mix seems to run a bit better.
  3. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

Call us we would be happy to sell you the 50 lb bags at 8.50
    914-485-4200 John