1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magic -0 pre-treat !!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by nighthawk117, Dec 20, 2009.

1. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 Senior Member
    from Ma

Well, tried to pre-treat walkways 3 times and out of these 3 tries I can say that this crap sucks, PERIOD. It does not offer any "pretreat benefit" as far as I can see, and no, I am not a weekend warrior, been doing it for 22 years. ;) Has anyone else bought and used it as straight liquid with no additional additives? Our salt pile has been treated also. We got a whopping 1/2-3/4 inch of snow, its approx 28deg and the snow is still on the walks, its just brown now :laughing: Why doesnt someone here tell me what actually works as advertised. Thanks

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Well that doesn't sound right. Magic does work. I have treated bulk, and when it leaks out the back of the v-box it will burn off an 1" before it starts to mush up. How much did you apply per X amount of square feet ? What did you apply with ?
    Was your snow from that storm very heavy wet, concrete/mash potato snow ? If the water content was extreme, I could see the magic possibly diluting out from so much water content.
    Try a bit of salt brine next to the magic for comparison, the magic should work as well or better then brine.

3. nighthawk117

from Ma

I applied with a battery powered backpack sprayer, approx 1-1.5 gal per k. The snow was very dry, and powdered. The areas that I pre-treated with granular ice-melt looked fantastic. Which didnt take any time to do vs. the spraying. I was thinking of mixing in some salt brine to the brew, all I want is some residual melt-off after the walks are cleared of snow.

4. Just remember, the liquid is not an ice melt, only when sprayed on salt. It only prevents the bonding. Sounds like your expectations were that it would melt your precip. It might burn off a little. Sounds like it was sloppy on the walks. So there was no hard pack. Spraying liquid is cheaper when you compare that a bag of magic and a gallon of liquid cover the same amount and the liquid will stick around longer than treated which has less liquid on it. hope that helps.

5. nighthawk117

from Ma

I take it you are a dealer? Please go and ready the description of Magic -0 , I would post it here but I cant get it from the site. Not to worry, I am not the only one around here that is not happy with the results. What are the percentages of your mix? Thanks

6. nighthawk117

from Ma

Magic Minus Zero™ is a highly effective liquid de-icing agent made from a patented blend of magnesium chloride combined with an agricultural by-product of the distilling process (i.e. grain and/or sugar based) and is protected under U.S. patent #4,676,918. No other liquid ice melter can make this claim. Seems that my expectations are founded after all. :rolleyes:

7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

The site talks about anti icing, not melting. I have not used the product, but know many who have and it works well if used correctly.

8. nighthawk117

from Ma

Read the last line please. Now are you saying that I didnt use it correctly??

9. nighthawk117

from Ma

De-icing is the process of removing frozen contaminant, snow, ice, slush, from a surface.
    Anti-icing is the process of protecting against the formation of frozen contaminant, snow, ice, slush on a surface. :salute:

10. True, it does say Deicing on the Magic site but if you read all the bullets and paragraphs around that statement you would know that it is a antibonding agent. As you know when its sprayed on salt it is an awesome deicer. But never the less. The liquid alone is a anti icing application and when sprayed on salt is a deicer.

11. nighthawk117

from Ma

Exactly, it should not be advertised as a de-icing agent because its not. Works great when sprayed on the SALT. I have been informed that it has an extremely small amount of mgcl in it, hence no ice-melting. :D Damn tree huggers :gunsfiring:

12. Actually 50% Mag

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ummm, wouldn't the mag provide de-icing?

Especially at 50%.

Especially since mag is the hottest de-icer available.

14. Mark, it does a bit. Anywhere from 1/4" to 1.5" depending on the moisture content when applied prior. It works well after in liquid form if you want to cut thru hard pack but it needs to be applied with pencil points as it will not work as a fan spray. You may know this already. I just try not to over sell it to my customers as a de-icer in liquid form. Just anti-icing.

www.brennanlandscapinginc.com

15. nighthawk117

from Ma

WOW, I would like to try your batch. I was told that it had approx. 20% if not less. Who dictates the mag content, producer or dealer?

16. Where did u get your liquid?

17. nighthawk117

from Ma

The dealer in our area.

18. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

You guys need to call us Thats all i will say for now. LOL