1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magentic or Permenant, need help choosing lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Supper Grassy, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

I am looking for some help on choosing some strobes for my truck. I would like to get a light bar and i am reading that permanent is the best option but how is that accomplished on a ram 2500? The truck barely fits in most parking garages at it is now and adding a permanent bar will mean that i can not pull the truck into my garage. For my regular job i drive on the turnpike and i am not sure if a magnetic bar will be able to withstand that. I was thinking a headache rack for the back but i have an undercover bed cover that prevents me from adding one. Any help is greatly apprecaited

2. toyotaboy

toyotaboy Member
    from DE

how about the ones you hook up to your truck lights themselves that have the strobe or flashing effect by flipping a switch and you dont have to worry lights on top of your truck not exactly sure how it all works because i use a magnetic one for my roof right now that goes on prior to the storm and off after that was about $70 and its fairly decent going on third year with it now

3. nixray

nixray Senior Member

As Toyotaboy is referring to, they are aftermarket cab clearance lights with a built in strobe function. Recon lighting makes them not sure if others? But you could do this then put strobes in the back window or 3rd brake light and if you have a extended cab or bigger put like 2 ti3-r (wheelen) or the like.
    All in all it's easy to do 360* lighting with out a becon or bar.

4. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

whelen liberty is a low profile unit

5. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

If you are looking at the Back Rack, they have a mount for mini light bars that folds down towards the back. And there are also some bed covers that are able to work with the Back Rack. I will agree that magnet mounts can come off on the highway. I used to always have mine on my truck and never had a problem going 80mph on the highway, then one day I was going 55 getting on the highway and it flew off and hit my back window (no damage) but scared the hell outta me!

Strobe Hide-Aways are always another option.

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Next best thing is doing interior lighting and hide-a-ways. Either led or strobe. I have all interior lighting in my truck and love it. I never have to worry about a lighbar being stolen, blown off, rust rings from magnets. It was a little more money to go this route, but worth it. I also installed it all myself (kind of a hobby I do on the side anyway) so that was a money saver aswell. But you don't have to look like a slick top police car. A dash light in the front, something in the side windows (if you have them) and a traffic arrow that doubles as a warning bar. I have all sound off signal products in my truck and haven't had a issue with them.

In the front tucked up tight with the headliner on the passenger side I have a ultra light 4 head.
    In the rear window I have a ultra light 8 head tight with the headliner aswell.
    In the rear amber turn signals I have the sound off universal led hide-a-ways
    In the front grille (work in process) I am putting the led3s. 2 in amber and 2 in clear. The clears are going to be on a park kill so when the truck goes into park the clears shut off.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  7. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

The clearance lights that flash are Atomic lights. Strobes n More sell them. If you don't drive on the freeway, a magnetic is fine. Some light bars have stronger magnets then are needed and will hold on quite well. Magnetic is never recommended for a moving vehicle, but they can still work. One option is the Atomic lights (clearance lights) and a set of lights in the back window. Then hiden lights in the backup lights and the front corner lights.

8. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

I have never had my lightbar fly off. I have 5 ABLE || LED lightbars on my trucks... Sitting tallest is my GMC 4500 I drove it to miami and Back though a Horrible storm on the freeways andnever had a problem. I take my 2500's with the lightbars though the carwash.. never had a problem. Its a magnet mount...

[​IMG]

9. Supper Grassy

What would you use for interior lighting in the rear. And would you do a visor mount or dash mount in the front?

Is it better to get a switch panel and mount it or run on all cig plugs? This is my first time adding any strobes to a truck

The lights will be dual purpose for snore and also visibility at my full time job which is heavy highway construction

10. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

You could use a whelen SlimLighter for the back. and it is better to hard wire them and not have to deal with all the cig plugs.

11. BigBoyPlowin

The options are endless.. Depending on how "Flashy" you want to be and how deep your pockets are.

If you just have one or two strobes a Cig. Plug is fine.. But since you would use them in the summer too, i would go with a more permanent / cleaner look with a switch panel.

Too many cig. plugs becomes a hassle especially when you want to charge your phone!
    Also with some strobes you will have a flash module box therefore a panel would be nice because you can tuck all that away. leaving your trucks appearance a lot cleaner and profesional.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  12. Supper Grassy

Where can I look for a switch panel and where do you locate it

13. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

14. BigBoyPlowin

You have to know what you will be powering before you get a switch panel.. Do you plan to change the pattern on the lights Or will the flash be built in? Does your truck have any upfitter switches? If so those are really slick when people wire strobes into them..

Just food for thought.

15. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Tomorrow I will post pics of my light and how I have them mounted inside my truck

16. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OT7O7G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I bought this to run all my lights off of. I have had NO problems at all with it not working, its cheap but it works really well. I run a Axixtech Mini Bar and 2 Mini Phantom Dash/Deck lights with it and recently added a Cobra Radar Detector to it. Works great.

(This is until I am able to get a more permanent truck, didnt want to put $500 or more into a truck with 145K miles and then have it break a day later.)

17. Supper Grassy

If I have to do magnetic and drive highway speeds is an led or beacon bar better?

18. BigBoyPlowin

LED is uses less power.. Which is nice while plowing.
    LED You can see in the daylight and at night..
    Beacon you cant see well in the daylight

If you really want some bright lights that you can see during the day or night just go out and get dome Code 3 LED lights i think they're called.... The same ones the county trucks use on their trucks. I considered them until i saw the pricetag...

19. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Code 3 is nice, but way over priced. Whelen imo has better a better product. I do like Sound off though as they are local to me and are about 20 minutes away.

Here is how I mounted my leds. Everything was custom done by me.

resize.jpg

resize1.jpg

resize2.jpg

resize3.jpg

resize4.jpg

20. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Last one of the bar in the rear window and the switch panel.

resize5.jpg

resize6.jpg

resize7.jpg