1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mag or calcium?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bartlett_2, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Bartlett_2

Bartlett_2 Senior Member

Hey guys, my neighbor is throwing down sand on his drive, because he doesn't want it to get messed up. It is stamped concrete that is sealed with a coating. I told him he could use Magnesium or calcium instead of the sand, but my question is one better then the other? I would also think the sand would score up the drive when they pull in our out. Plus it's a mess... It is two or three seasons old, and it got chipped up a bit from salt the cars brought in on it. I just wanted to recommend something better then the sand, my thought would be calcium, which I use on all my brick paver accounts with no problem...
  2. Hawsss

Hawsss Junior Member

Mag Chloride is less corrosive than Calcium, Sodium or Potassium Chlorides.
  3. KCD Snow Pro

KCD Snow Pro Member
    from IL.

Stay away from mag. No joke. Mag's been proven to bind with dolomitic (limestone) based concrete and destroy it due to the formation of brucite and MSH. Calcium does it as well just not nearly as badly. Salt has actually been proven to be safer from a chemical reactivity standpoint.

Expensive but good solution to look into is potassium acetate; non corrosive and great melt value.

Hope it helps!
  4. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

The sand will remove his sealer, just from the abrasive action. The he'll have dull spots...he won't be happy.

Stamped is tough, because you can't scrape it clean to begin with. Usually, a broom is the way to complete removal, and we know how practical that is for a homeowner. If his concrete is a decent mix, the salt won't just eat it. (unless it is very hungry salt) I'd also recommend a calcium-blend or a treated product--something that will keep refreeze to a minimum, because that will the concrete up quickly. Mirroring KCD, an acetate would be a good option (CMA or Potassium), but it is costly. There are multi-chloride blends with CMA on the market, and many that are decent on concrete when applied correctly.

5. GTMN

GTMN Member

KCD, can you reference that site where you read that?
  6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Might have been The Portland Cement Association...cement.org...

They have some good info on De-icers on Concrete.....:salute: