1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mag mount lightbar owners

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by atvriderinmass, Jan 3, 2011.

1. atvriderinmass

atvriderinmass Senior Member

What do you guys put under your magnets to stop it from leaving marks? I heard that they rust up and leave marks. I'm sure this must have been posted somewhere but couldn't find it.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I usually use a piece of tape. Don't go to think or the bar will slide off the roof if you pass a semi coming at you, or are going down the highway. Usually 1 piece per mag.

3. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Star Warning Systems (manufacturer of the bars we use) generally provides a set of black, round stickers that you can either stick to the bottom of your magnets, or the roof. I find them easier to apply to the magnets so I don[t have to try to aim the bar at a specific location on the roof. I have friends that swear by the other method though.

4. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Same here on the tape thing, I put about 3 layers of DUCT tape on the bottom of the magnet as well as the side to keep rust from forming. If you leave the bar on to long and the sides are exposed to rust they will start dripping rust spots on your roof. Mine is noticeable due to the white truck.

5. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

duct tape. thickness depends on the strength of you magnets. ive seen 1 piece on lights work great, but ive also seen one piece too thin and the edges wear through the tape and scratch the roof.

6. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I use the covers of a pringles can...

7. amscapes03

amscapes03 Member

Non-Slip Drawer Liner. That thin black foam stuff used to line a tool box with. HD has it. Get a roll for 10 bucks or less and cut it to the foot print of your light bar. Works awesome, and leaves no marks.

8. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Mine came with little rubber covers over the magnets.

9. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

10. mikelawtown

from Mass

Hey ATVRIDER, you want the light..check PM's

11. ff1241

ff1241 Member

I use large flat refrigerator magnets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mikelawtown

from Mass

How do you like the sound off light? I think i would also use Green Bay magnets like that too...LOL.........GO PATS.....

13. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

That's why I put 3 coats on. I did upgraded the magnets, I have a Whelan Mini Liberty, cost me almost $ 800.00 with additions and I don't want it falling off.

I did just order a roll of that Bruise Tape from AW direct, that stuff look perfect !

14. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have used an old door magnet before........but mostly duct tape....

15. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

16. ff1241

ff1241 Member

I just got it two weeks ago and have not had snow to plow for over 3 weeks now. Just playing with it I like it. I can pick and change the flash patterns easily. With the 4 magnets its still hard to pull off even with the flat refrigerator magnets. I still take the lightbar off when the plow is not on but refrigerator magnets keep the top of the truck from getting scratched.

Some of the guys on the fire dept have other brands of mini lightbars for snowplowing. Im going to try and get a video to compare them all.

17. John911

John911 Member

Just buy your next mini lightbar with magnetic suction mounts. Whelen makes them for many products. Just a few buck more than magnetic mount but no scratches and no rust stains.

18. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

go to www.priority1emergency.com they have rubber boot covers for 90lb pull magnets 4 of them for $10 dollars ... and yes they fit snug .... no rust so scratches ... plus with the rubber in between the magnet actually doesnt slide around at all ..... i will see if i can snap a photo of mine .... best $10 bucks ever spent ..... i believe there under the PARTS category

19. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

20. heavychevy01

heavychevy01 Member

I just take electrical tape and cover the magnets. Seems to work pretty good.