1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mag Chloride

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snowlover4u2, Jun 27, 2011.

1. snowlover4u2

snowlover4u2 Junior Member

I am considering buying Mag Chloride and trying it out for the winter here in VA. I was trying to find out if anyone knew if you had to have a pesticide license or any special license to use or transport it?

Also trying to find out what the difference between putting that and regular salt down?

Thanks

2. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Good Question

You will get many suggestions on this site. Personally, I think you are making a good choice.

Let Magnesium chloride be a tool in your tool box. Different conditions require different tactics. A few nice things about Mag. is the lower use-rates per 1,000 square feet, it has a short term heat release upon the beginning of melting process and it works more efficiently at colder temperatures that sodium chloride.

We offer a snow & ice management manual that covers this and other ice melters in detail. If you have any questions, feel free to give us a call. Thanks and have a great year.

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Mag pellets are an expensive alternative to rock salt, however mixing the two will allow lower melting temps and faster melting. Rock salt is popular because it works and it's cheap. Mag has also been shown to chemically attack concrete, whereas rock salt doesn't. As the previous poster said, it's a tool to have in your tool box, but I wouldn't plan on switching entirely from rock salt to mag unless money is no object.

4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

You are Correct...The Portland Cement Association has done studys on this....Mag is Aggressive towards concrete...Salt is Not....I guess Mag has some Anger issues..:realmad:

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Or maybe it's hungry! :drinkup:

6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Check out mags corosivness to copper & aluminum. We had used salt treated with mag, my flatbed has had nothing but wiring issues since the first year on lights, on the flatbed it self, don't know if its from the mag. There is a reason the DOT out west have remove it from many specs I'm sure.

7. snowlover4u2

snowlover4u2 Junior Member

So you would say mix the mag with rock salt. What percentage of each? Also would you put it on a rear spreader for the truck or for the tractor?

8. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

give ed a call instead of using mag why not give our brine a try 877 3 4BRINE

9. Keith Griffin

Keith Griffin Junior Member

How much bag salt is used per square ft of sidewalk? Anyone please?

10. bharkness

bharkness Junior Member

Why don't you try some mineral well brine it's a lot less cost and works 800-2867312

Brad

11. Schoenberg Salt

Schoenberg Salt Member

Every property has their certain needs and certain challenges. If you go to the extremes, there are non-corrosive deicers approved by the FAA which are expensive and there materials like CMA which the manufactures rate as being ok to use on concrete cured atleast 1 month (while others would not recommend any deicer be used before the 1st year). If you are looking for MAG please give us a call, if you are looking for something else... we sell most deicers on the market and can help you decided what is the best fit for you.

800-221-5105