1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mag chloride vs. Cal chloride?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mike_dmt, Oct 29, 2008.

1. mike_dmt

mike_dmt Member

Both are available to me for about the same price per gallon. Has anyone worked with both?

The cal dealer claims better effectiveness to a lower temp.(-25f) And more coverage per gallon.

Is it a fact that mag freezes at +15f? and loses effectiveness at 20?

2. szorno

szorno Senior Member

I don't know where you are getting your data, but my experience does not match up.
    Mag chloride is generally good down to +10* with no problem. If you get a vegetable enhanced mag like Caliber, it goes down to about -5*. I am talking real experience here, not advertising.
    I doubt anything working at -25*. That is likely adevertising BS.
    I would suggest you pick your dealer just as much as you pick the product. If the CaCl dealer is a better dealer, buy from him. If the mag ealder is better, buy form him. I doubt that a little temp improvement will show itself in your environment. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  3. mike_dmt

mike_dmt Member

Thanks for the info szorno. I was actually curious what the truth was concerning these products.

I'm looking to use one or the other for a pre wet treatment. Since a potential customer complained about the mag chloride freezing in the afternoon after an application, I was considering CaCl.

4. hoosier57

hoosier57 Junior Member

I have and do work with both Cal and Mag products. I agree with szorno,both are similar. Many times temps quoted for products are EUTECTIC temps.(the temp that product turns from liquid to solid) not effective temps. You can make some salesman vapor lock when you ask which temp they are using.
    Another mistake that is often made is using air temp instead of ground temp.
    Application rates are dictated by temp, highest rate is for coldest temp.
    Over application of any Cal or Mag based product that I know of (straight or with organic inhibitors) usual works against you.
    Hope this helps