1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Made the ole girl work today.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Mark13, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Was helping a friend do some dirt work today and had to move the bobcats when we were done.

First we started with a pediatric bobcat for a warmup.
    [​IMG]

Then we moved onto the bigger stuff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not sure on the weight, case 1845c bobcat full of fuel, gp dirt bucket and pallet forks, and some extra ballast bolted under the rear door and the diamond plate box on the tongue was half full of chains and binders. And maybe 400lbs in my bed including the toolbox. Pulled it 12-13 miles no problem, everything from country roads to downtown rush hour, and a pretty nice hill.
    This is about half of it, it continues around the corner for probably another 1/2mile.
    [​IMG]

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Nice Chevy truck I do like those truck not old or new one.

How power? push on gas pedal more than normal?

Do you have cooler on radiator? it help transmission cool when work hard?

How fast you go? 45 mph? Do you feel bounce and little sway if go fast/

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It was fine on power, I had to push the skinny pedal a bit more then normal but not much. It certainly didn't need wot to move. For being rated for 6500lbs or something it sure didn't struggle much with that load.

I've got a 12x25" trans cooler and temp guage. Trans never got over 165 on the whole trip, stayed at 150 most of the time.

I stayed at about 30mph intown and kept 30mph going up that hill, on the country roads I stayed at around 50mph. It didn't bounce or sway at all, it was actually much worse with the trailer empty then loaded,

4. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

Truck looks good Mark. That thing seems to be holding up pretty damn well for being a DD/tow vehicle/plow rig. Nice and clean - Nick

5. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

you have upgraded springs or axels??? i know you have something out of a one ton on your truck right???

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The front torsion bars are out of probably a 3/4ton and the rear springs are either 3/4ton or 1ton. As far as axles I still have the stock 10bolt rear with no posi.

I can't complain about it. It certainly gets used past what chevy put as its limits. I'm unsure of the weight of the bobcat, 10-11k would be my guess. And in the winter I have the wings on my plow 90% of the time making my 7.6 a 9.7. I often can get much more snow infront of my truck with the wings on then my truck can actually push. And I've had anywhere between 2k and 5k in my bed more then once. It's got 161,5xx on the odo and actual milage is somewhere around 165k (oversized tires) and its still going strong. Original trans as far as I know.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  7. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

nice jpb.

a good ol pic of the bridge. That could be a 6 lane double decker and it would still back up for miles during rush hour!

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, I had to go past where I was dropping the bobcat off (by the jewel on algonquin rd) and go down to the stp gas station past tri-county truck caps to get diesel for it then come back that mile or so in bumper to bumper traffic. I bet it took me 20 minutes to go a mile.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Looks good. An 1845C with bucket weighs less then 6k. just an FYI.:drinkup:

10. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Nice pics, chevys rule!

11. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I do everything In my power to avoid that area anywhere near rush hour lol.

12. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That's really cool!

13. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

looks to handle the loads really well for a 1500 even with 3/4 ton parts....

14. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

My Ranger could pull that load stopping that's a whole new game....:dizzy:
    On a serious note trucks need a workout every so often.

15. Milwaukee

Are you plan keep do this?

When I drive geo tracker today and my mind pop. That 1/2 ton rear axle would not be happy why bearing get wear out fast plus oil get hot then become black.

Do you change rear axle and front axle's oil? With magnet oil plug that grab metal?

My 79 F150 with 1/2 ton spring. I put nearby 2,800 pounds and everyone look at me and say you crazy you would break rear axle.

And went to scrap they was shock 2,800 for 2 pipes that close 400 pounds each, 2 bracket that weight 200 pounds each, many junk engine's heads I say no more than 10, 2 rear axles from Dodge D10 and 3500.

Plus my hitch normal 1 1/2 foot but when that 2,800 pounds on it close to 3-5" and it already dig on park lot to road why it steep so it dig 1" deep. It was 15% to 20% steep on ramp to road.

16. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Mils got a point about the 10 bolt rear end.

If I was you I would keep my eyes open for a 14 bolt 9.5 SF 6 lug.

17. Milwaukee

Keep mind cheap is go to junkyard. Do not buy any on ebay or craiglist. I was surprise when my one junkyard sell Ford rear axle for $66 but another want $300 or more.

You would need call 3 or 5 junkyard in your area before you go there. Ask them if they have chevy 2500 or 3500 in 90's and how much for rear axle then ask if they would torch rear axle off leaf spring. Or bring your sawzall to cut leaf spring's u bolt to rear axle.

6 lugs for 14 bolt don't that be hard to find? Find in HD 1500 or light duty 2500?

I thought 2500 have 8 lugs I saw before.

18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm looking for one off and on. I almost had one for $100 out of my friends obs 2500hd chevy but he junked the truck before I got ahold of it.

And JD, you maybe right, I really don't know what it weighed. I just went by what I looked up on the internet a month or so ago and it said right around 8k.
    All I know is it left ruts where my truck didn't and I know my truck is 58-5900lbs.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  19. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I honestly just junked one out. We bought a parts truck for my little truck and it was a 1500 diesel and the rear end was a 14 bolt. Had I known Mark I would of sold it to ya.

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Grr, lol. I'm waiting, one of these days my 10bolt is going to decide it want's to die. Then I'll be pressed for time to find a 14bolt. Somehow my 10bolt has survived pulling quite a bit and having a full 6.5ft bed full of wet sand. And numerous other trips with 2-3k in the bed.