1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

made in america

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by snow warrior, Feb 15, 2005.

1. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

got under my truck the other day an was shocked! :eek:
    in big letters on my leaf spring was MADE IN MEXICO.
    boy that really ticks me off ..... sorry just thought it was bull :gunsfiring:

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

well...you get what you pay for.

why is that bull? is it because you just thought that since you bought an American car that all sourced parts should be American? Could you imagine how upset others get when they see Mad in USA on their Japanese cars?

It all comes down to cost. Labor and shipping is cheaper in the USA, so Japanese auto makes build stuff here. Same with US makes working in Mexico.

Sorry that the world economy is just now hitting you.

3. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Some stuff is made south of the border but auto makers still do assemble some makes and models here by the United Auto Workers. Usually there's a sticker in the door frame where the last point of assembly was.

4. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

didn't mean to offend anyone just venting!! you never see made in usa in letters that BIG. i know that most of the stuff is not made in usa.eveybodys gotta make a living just wish more of it was us made!

5. salopez

salopez Senior Member

snow warrior

i agree with you. unfortunatly it all cost money. a company i worked for just stopped manufacturing in the us....cost of course. they were able to keep producing in us for 2 extra years by removing one metal label on every product! i too think USA should be big and bold on everyting we make!

6. schnitz

schnitz Member

You know it's almost funny. 7 years ago when I bought my '93 Chevy, it was on the Wausau Imports lot. The salesman told me that Nissans were assembled in the U.S. and that my new-to-me Chevy was probably built in Canada or Mexico. I laughed at him... 'till he showed me proof in some trade magazine. As the owner of another older Chevy ('84 4X4), Ican sure tell the difference between the strengths of each truck. My dad still has a '77 on the farm that will out do anything either of mine will. It all boils down to economics. Make it cheap, let it break, people will either come in and get it fixed, or trade it in on another cheap truck. I talked to the guy that previously owned my '93 about two months after my buying it. He said it was a lot better truck than his new Nissan. More power and it was "just more solid." I know, apples to oranges, but it's a simple fact that the world is going cheap...If you don't believe me on that, talk to the tightwad customer that thinks that you should drop the plow for less than $20.

I hope I don't offend anyone, but that's my thought. Thanks for listening.

Chet.

7. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

"...Ican sure tell the difference between the strengths of each truck...."

Amen to that. I currently own a 99 Chevy crewcab dually and previously had an 85. What a difference in something as simple as the tailgate. The 85 tailgate must weigh twice as much as the one on the 99. This was driven home to me shortly after I got the new truck. I was carrying a load of 2x12x16 lumber back from Home Depot. Naturally these were hanging off the back of the bed with the tailgate down. I hit a bump in the road - certainly not a major pothole but something you'd feel. When I got home I found that the load from the bump had buckled the tailgate!

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

"The salesman told me that Nissans were assembled in the U.S. and that my new-to-me Chevy was probably built in Canada or Mexico. I laughed at him... "

Canada and Mexico shouldn't really be lumped together. The big three have always been built, bought and sold in both Canada and the USA. Some of the best quality engine blocks were cast right here in the St. Catharines GM Foundry (gone now for about 10 years).

A lot of that had not just to do with being 'cheaper to do business there' but also to do with government grants, tax benefits and such. It always made sense to build on both sides of the border, so think of them more as a 'North American' car or truck.

Places like Mexico have only been added in the last 15-20 years, ever since the whole import rage began. Yes, technically they are part of North America too, but it's not quite the same, is it? Parts made there have always been of poor quality, and while maybe that is changing over time, they have many years of poor experiences to make up for.

The same thing goes for China, Taiwan, or any other place that automakers have begun using.

Just remember where the profit goes when you buy a vehicle. Even if that Nissan is built in the USA and employs a bunch of American workers, the profits are going back to Japan every time, making them richer and us poorer (is that a word???).

When you buy a domestic car, be it built in Detroit, Michigan, or built in St. Therese, Quebec, the profits are going to the head office here in North America.

I have yet to be shown a foreign car that is of such 'superior quality' that it doesn't need repairs, ever. My ex's mom, for example, bought a new '96 Toyota Corolla because of their 'higher quality' and soon learned a different story. At approx. 50k kms (30k miles) the ignition module crapped out. Part cost was $800 and a two week wait. Sounds like a big savings to me! :rolleyes: She ended up giving it to her son and bought a Blazer instead...

Moral of the story is that no vehicle, regardless of manufacturer, is immune to breakdown. I even saw a vacationing couple getting their brand new Benz towed into the local GM dealer, begging them to get it running again (they were from Florida) and the only dealer in the area was in the next city...

9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Not only do I generaly prefer domestic stuff I rather have my money making some fat bald american guy rich than a short bald Korean. I prefer something to be built/designed/owned here but thats pretty hard. Especially with some of the union issues. Not knocking unions, they are and were great in many ways........thats just a long topic......

10. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

As an engineer, I tend to point out that even though a vehicle may be made in the U.S. by a foreign-based manufacturer, the engineering was probably done by foreign engineers. Similar statements can be made for accounants and many other white collar types.

There are many types of people who gain employment from automotive manufacture, not just "overpaid union types" as so many buyers of foreign cars and trucks say when they make up excuses for buying foreign vehicles.

I've been noticing that Toyoto has been running ads in various magazines stating that their U.S.-made vehicles employ U.S. engineers, accountants and so forth. I'm sorry, but I don't necessarily buy that. Much of the basic research is done overseas. For example, maybe they engines are made in the U.S. of mostly U.S.-sources parts, but the original design for the engine was probably done overseas. Same goes for many of the other things on vehicles made in the U.S. by foreign manufacturers. It's likely that the original development work and design work was done overseas by foreign workers.

People who buy vehicles from foreign-based manufacturers can make up all the excuses and rationalizations they want for buying a "foreign vehicle." I just think that if you buy a vehicle from a manufacturer based in the U.S. that you're likely employing as many Americans as possible. I think that's enough reason to "Buy American," right?

11. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I don't mean to toot my own horn but not every union local in this country is overpaid. I may be going way out in left field with what your saying but here we have a two tier wage system, the old guys make 100k+ a year and I'm lucky to make half of that. I'd rather give my money to a fat bald american versus a little sawed off korean.

12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Best watch the tone and name calling ie: sawed off korean .... we don't need any fights started. :nono: Next thing you know someone's brother's girlfriend's next door neighbour will be 1/4 Korean and all hell will be breaking loose.

Jeez, I wish I was making $50k US per year. I think if I was making that kind of money I'd be awful tempted to stay in my warm bed :sleeping: rather than getting up and going outside in a blizzard :p Around here we can't even get jobs with the automakers anymore, they are doing nothing but downsizing. Openings are few and far between, and only contract work (ie: no security). Its sad since people like my old man just retired after 42 years there... the days of lifetime careers are over. :(

13. schnitz

schnitz Member

Derek, I can side with you on that making $50,000 a year would be awful nice. When I stated that I laughed at the salesman, I had thought yet at that time that assembly of components/ final assemblies were still done in the U.S. Yup, those lifetime careers are going the way of a real truck with real steel body panels. Too bad.

I'll still buy a GM way before a Nissan or a Toyota. If I get cut, I bleed Chevrolet orange. I may cut some of Chevolets decisions down, but I'll probably never buy a foriegn vehicle. All vehicles do break down. My cousin bought a new Dakota. Two weeks later, his main computer quit. His dad bought a new Chevy a month or so later and the same thing happened to him within the first week. Like it was said, nobody builds a perfect vehicle.

Chet.

14. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

Around here we can't even get jobs with the automakers anymore, they are doing nothing but downsizing. Openings are few and far between, and only contract work (ie: no security). Its sad since people like my old man just retired after 42 years there... the days of lifetime careers are over. :([/QUOTE]

AMEN!! :salute:

15. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Certian jobs should remain highly paid. Electricians/carpenters/masons/lineman/welders/ect. Skilled labor should be payed well and have a system set up were you know you are getting qualified people. Unskilled work shouldnt. Unskilled work should be what you do untill you can gain the experiance or schooling to make it into a skilled field or an office type job. The problem with the pro vrs anti union debate that it generaly turns into is that its generally to.....well......general. Both sideds come up with reasons why the other side is wrong and its ussualy not the norm. Some jobs should retain unions, some union ruels are good, some are freaking ignorant. I'm pro in some instances and anti union in others.......

If you can learn the job in a few weeks and become pretty proficent at it with no other real previos skills or expereince then no IMO you shouldnt be able to raise a family off that comfortably and retire doing basicly the same type thing. Dangerous jobs are different......you pay a premium for the chance of someone getting screwed up.

Probably didnt explain my self well......really dont mean anything negative

16. POWERBAND

POWERBAND Member

'Nuff said (sad)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. drplow

drplow Senior Member

whats the difference anymore. Toyota's are built here, everyone owns their stock and many Americans work in their new factory's in the USA. are Toyota's foreign anymore. if so, a few more years and it will be considered made in the USA.

18. C.L.M. Inc.

C.L.M. Inc. Junior Member

your sticker on the door states it all assembled in the Red White and Blue. I am a mechanic for a Dodge dealer. So i can understand it a little better than most. As far as your tailgate cable, i am just using these figures for an examle only. It might cost .20 to make it here, but may cost .10 to make it in a foreign contry. There are alot of thins to take into consideration before you :yow!: about foreign parts on a big 3 vehicle. It's all about profit. Let's takr that .10 cable, the big 3 all make trucks with tailgate cables. Now the trucks are under factory warranty, they have to warranty 50,000 broken cables. The factory has to pay for the part and pay the dealer to have a mechanic install it. Now if that cable cost .20 that is less profit that the auto maker makes. Also is that cable going to last that much loner if it is make here? Not only that but that is probably our steel the foreign country uses to make that cable. It's all about foreign trade. We have to pay less to have some things made in other countries so it can increase our profit here. Just for sake of arguement. Take that foreign cable off there and if you CAN find one put a U.S made cable on one side and do a test and see which one lasts longer I'll bet you will replace 2 to 1 on the U.S made cable. Not that our stuff is crap we just don't have the ability to make it at the same price as the foreign country and have the same quality. Iam sure this thread will piss some poeple off. As i was pissed off when i seen how many of our parts are made overseas, but it was explained to me the same way and it makes sence. You can't be a profitable company if you don't make things as cheap as you can.It's all about payup . Hope i did'nt step on anyone toes with this one :(