1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Made and installed deflector today.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by johnnysnok, Jan 30, 2011.

1. johnnysnok

johnnysnok Member

Wanted to install a deflector on the Boss V plow but some of the costs were crazy.
    So we purchased a stall matt which goes on the floor in a horse barn for $30.00.
    It was then cut down to the size we needed and we attached it with 1/2 bolts and nylon lock nuts thru the steel straping we cut for the top. The strapping will now get painted to protect it. Tested it today and it really throws snow far and no more white outss on the windsheild. Thumbs Up
    There is even enough matt left to do 6 more plows.

2. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

That is a really nice job, it even looks beefier than factory, where can u get the matting from, horse supply dealer or like any home depot or tractor supply type store? thanks
  3. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

Very nice! Take a little mat and make the middle deflector, you will be surprised how much snow will come over the middle.

Looks better then factory, bet it last a long time! I would never have a blade without a deflector.
  4. johnnysnok

johnnysnok Member

Thanks..The matt was purchased at Tractor Supply.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

yes add a middle piece....just tap a hole in the top of the part the springs attach to
    I have pics in one of my posts that show how I did mine

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Looks real nice. How thick is it?
  7. johnnysnok

johnnysnok Member

This stuff is 1/2' thick.
  8. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

How flexable is the mat?
  9. johnnysnok

johnnysnok Member

When it is cut 9" wide and 2" are under the metal strapping it really is pretty stiff.
  10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Without the middle, you might as well have none of it. It's all gonna funnel through the middle.
    What you did looks good just finish it off.
  11. loc

loc Junior Member

That looks really nice. How long was the mat.
  12. johnnysnok

johnnysnok Member

The matt comes 4' x 6'
  13. x.system

x.system Senior Member

If there's no cord in that mat it will rip easy. I think Boss calls for a piece 21"x23" for the center section, I would bump it up to 24" square and trim the excess if you make the center piece.
  14. GA73

GA73 Member

cords mean nothing my boss flap is shot after 4 years. looks like someone sliced it with a razor blade
  15. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

That is cool.
  16. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Looks real good. Thanks for sharing.
  17. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I made my deflector right after I bought my plow, 3yrs ago. Like a few have said, get the center pc in there...you will really like it then!

a few pics from the 18" blizzard we got last week... glad the center was there!

18. LawnmastersMike

LawnmastersMike Member

Do you have any more pics of how you mounted it? I've been thinking of making one myself just dont really want to drill holes in a brand new plow.
  19. johnnysnok

johnnysnok Member

I know how you feel but after too many white outs i did drill thru the top lip of my New Plow.
    I felt it was the only way to get any strength. Maybe someone else has an idea for you if you do not want to drill your plow.
    I do not have a rear view of the install maybe i can get one another time. It is just a washer and a lock nut.
  20. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa