1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Made a press tool for super duty sway bar end links

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by TJS, Sep 26, 2010.

1. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Ok while doing my ball joints, axle u-joints, exh. manifolds&studs, rotors and pads I also noticed that my sway bar end link bushings were bad and causing a clunk feeling right at your feet. Removing these bushings/ball socket requires a press. You cannot even burn them out like I have with other rubber bushings. These are not all rubber, they have a steel ball and socket in there as well. I do not have a press (time to get one though), I just have the OTC ball joint tool. I made this tool/mandrel and it works great. Yes it took me a little time to make it but saved me from finding someone on weekend with a press that would press these things out without doing damage to the links.
    Sorry I did not take pics in action as my hands were full setting everything up with the OTC tool.
    I replaced all the sway bar and end link bushings with Energy Suspension ones.
    T.J.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I did that just about a year ago - using a press.

I also installed the Energy Suspensions units. All was great - until a few months back. Started feeling/hearing that old clunk again....

.... but here's the catch; Only when there's weight in the bed. OR when the suspension is wet (from rain or whatever). I just can't figure out what's happened. Good Luck with yours - and let me know if you notice anything when conditions change.

(I've done plenty of other trucks with the same bushings and had flawless results)

3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Ok got the ball joints in the knuckles and once again had to make another "tool" for the old OTC ball joint kit I had. Good thing I had some large thick wall tubing laying around. Took about 20 min to get it to fit right. It would have taken me longer to go to the non franchise auto parts store and try and find a new one for this tool.

Hey grec-o have you also replaced your ball joints as well. I think that was one of my primary clunks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Done.

[​IMG][/IMG]

5. grec-o-face

I haven't done the ball joints yet. I check them and grease them every oil change though. Everything seems ok. Had some rain today - and guess what??? CLUNK!!!

Driving me CRAZY!!!

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

If you are greasing your ball joints then they must have been replaced at sometime or another becuase Ford Factory ball joints are not greasable. Also check your hub assembly that has the sealed bearings in them. When I had mine out to do the ball joints I machined an adapter where a grease fitting screwed into it and I put grease in the hub through the antilock brake sensor hole in the hub.
    T.J.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  7. grec-o-face

Only two are replacements - one upper, and one lower (opposite sides). And that really pisses me off. If someone (the previous owner) took the time to do one, why not just do both?

Do you think the rain water is getting into the balljoints? Is that even possible? No noises or clunking when all is dry.....
    I suppose the two stockers could be giving me trouble.

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I would jack the truck up and perform the normal front end wear diagnosis procedure.
    I found my bad ball joints when doing the exhaust manifolds and studs because I had to take the tires/wheels off. I did not even have to use a bar. Even with the tire and wheel off I was able to grab the hub at 12 o’clock and 6 o’clock and move the whole knuckle up and down at least a half inch or more.