1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mack TerraPro as a plow truck?

Discussion in 'Test Post Forum' started by edwards4mte, Dec 4, 2010.

1. edwards4mte

edwards4mte Junior Member

I recently had an idea that i thought would work great as a muninipal plow truck.

A Mack TerraPro Cabover truck, (Not low entry) with a front mounted blade and a V box rear discharge spreader. The tipical setup for a truck dedicated to snow and ice control.I had 2 images in my head for that setup. One as a single axel with a 10'-12' spreader, ideal for inner city operating where there are tight corners and numerous obstacles. The second was a tandem axle with a 14'-16' spreader for highway operations. The longer frame and second rear axle would help the truck hold the road, and the larger spreader would expand the operating range of each unit.

Regardless of the setup, the TerraPro cabover has great visibility out the front for an almost unobstructed view of the plow and lift mechanisms. The truck is designed to be easily up fitted with bodies and attachments.

My question to you all is, what do you think about using a TerraPro as a base unit to build off of?
  2. speedy

speedy Senior Member

They are a horrible thing to drive, no comfort whatsoever. (I'm a concrete pump owner/operator)

I like the idea of a cabover for a plow truck, but I think an International:
    or an Isuzu NPR or the GMC equivalent (used - GM got out of the medium duty truck biz)
    Ford had the Low Cab Forward line (discontinued in 2009)
    Peterbilt and Kenworth had a lione of medium duty cabovers too.
    The American Lafrance (Formerly Freightliner) Condor is a nice heavy-duty model - much beter ergonomics than the Mack.
    Autocar also has a cabover design - the former White/Volvo cabover - They've done some interior upgrades over the Volvo version.
    Peterbilt also has a heavy duty cabover line, but it's nearly as antiquated as the Mack.

Too bad that Mack/Volvo hasn't seen to bring over the Volvo FMX, they would revolutionize the market in cabover daycabs in North America, and it's about time!!!