1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

machines needed for 3 acre lot....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Fisher II, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Fisher II

Fisher II Senior Member

Do you guys think a bobcat with a 8ft pusher,and a pick up with 8 ft straight blade would be enough equipment for a lot this size. My calculations come up with about 3 hrs total with both pieces running same time on lot for say 6 in storm. Im open to machine options since it will be a lease. Its a 3 yr contract if we get it, and im not sure if it would be wise to lease 3 yrs in a row, or just buy the machine. We do landscaping in other 3 seasons, so it could be used for other purposes. Any imput?!....thanks:salute:

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

What are the bid specs? any cars in the way? open 24 hours? islands? I do a 3 ac plaza with just a skid steer but I plow with the storm and it works out fine.......

3. Fisher II

Fisher II Senior Member

Mick....its a church parking lot, some islands, no cars,seasonal flat rate for 3yrs(no shoveling) What size Bocat are you using, and how long does it take for your 3 acre lot with 1 bobcat?

4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Generally speaking you can clear close to 2 ac per hour with a skid with a good operator. Now that said if you plan on clearing it at the end of the storm it will take you longer. I use 82hp 7500 lbs Cat Skids..... Im trying a 10' pusher instead of an 8' this year to see if I can get it done sooner.......

5. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

If you can swing it i would try to purchase a skid and get it paid off in those 3 years. Always, always handy to own a skid.

Then after that i would try to go for a Kage system instead of the 8' box. It will help you get done a lot faster. You MIGHT be able to get the lot done just with the skid and 10' Kage in the same time as the truck and other skid.

I am running a 9' Kage this season, after using a 8' last year for one storm i was sold. They are defiantly faster than any truck combo. Only problem with running skids is you have to trailer them if your doing more than one lot.

6. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

A truck with an ebling can knock that out in under 2 hours or just put a skid there, but I feel it is too small for a dedicated skid.

7. Fisher II

Fisher II Senior Member

thanks for all the replies. We'll see what Cat and Bobcat have to offer for deals.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I do a 3 acre plaza myself with a Boss V and Ebling in about 1.5 hours most storms. I wouldn't even bother starting a skid even if I had one parked there to do 3 acres.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I agree. That lot is for trucks.

10. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Would you be able to use a backhoe in the off season? I have a lot similar to yours and we have used skids with eight foot pushers in the past and now I am switching to backhoes with 12 foot pushers.

I've been looking at buying lately and skids and backhoes with similar hours are going for nearly the same price.

11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

2 vehicles should do 3 acres in under 2 hours.
    Not to brag but I have done 8+ acres alone with my truck. Not always the fastest but it can be done.

12. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Just priced a 2011 Bobcat S650 ( they already cancelled production of the 750) with gold package $44,000.

Let me know what you come up with, I think financing was 5.9%

13. allroad

allroad Junior Member

i got a price for a S650 with 100 hours for 41k, also did a new Jcb 260 for 45k still thinking about what to get.

14. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yeah, dedicating a skid plus the truck is too much, it sounds all open so the truck probably is easiest to do it alone... I'd get wings for the plow or a 9 footer or something maybe would be inexpensive to add and speed up your time for onsite productivity for this one.

15. iceman1

iceman1 Sponsor

3 acres is nothing for 1 piece of equipment if you have a back up plan. If you only have a truck I would maybe buy a cheap used pusher and have it set in the corner of the lot and if your truck breaks go rent a skidsteer. Yes you can get a rental in a storm. Maybe not enclosed but you can get one.

16. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I had a lot the past 3 seasons and it was 3.75 acres and we could knock it out with three trucks two with 7.5 blades, one with wings, one eight foot plow with wings in under 45 minutes. Granted, I know this lot like the back of my hand and we flew. One truck usually took 3 hours in a 3-4'' event. I never let the lot get anymore than 3'' on it at any one time. A dedicated skid might be too much overkill but one with a push box would be suitable

17. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I like the truck with an Ebling idea. Unless you need to stack snow a bit, I think a skid steer is going to be a waste of money. I think a 3/4 or 1 ton with the right weight and equipment will out plow a skid on a basically wide open lot.

18. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I agree with Brian on this. ON THE RIGHT LOT.

19. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

Makes no sense to invest in a 40K + skid for a 3 acre lot. If you have more use for it then maybe.

A pick up with an 8' blade and and box wings will clear 1.2 to 1.5 acres per hour with 2" to 4" of accumulation. Actual production rate, not a guess. Bit longer with heavier accumulation and quicker with less accumulation. Good luck this year!

20. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

There is a member on here who has some video's of him and his brother plowing a decent sized lot and his brother has (I think) a 8.2 VTX with wings and he was moving literally tons of snow each push. He was using a F250 or 350 diesel with a poly v box in the bed. About the only time a skid steer is going to out perform a truck is in a lot full of islands or other obstacles or again, if you need to stack. Even then a v blade can stack fairly high when doing it right. I would just hate to see you spend some serious money for something that you might not really need.